Male Melanochromis auratus HOLDING???

soliver

So i was doing my rounds, feeding my fish and i noticed my male Auratus didn't come up to eat. So i started studying him a little bit closer and i noticed that he is holding eggs. IS THIS POSSIBLE?

I have been watching for the last hour or so and he tumbles them and he has a good mouthful. I have no idea how this is to happen. The female is only 2.5" and he is full grown.

Anyways....here is a picture of him, i don't have any pictures of him holding yet but in the next little while i will try. Info would be greatly appreciated.

post-3797-1234044968_thumb.jpg

Mature females can definitely look like that . Under the white stripe there is yellow. The males will almost be black at the bottom . Their white stripe will almost look green . That is a mature female for sure. I suspect the male-like coloring is to try to hide herself while she is holding .

Do you only have these 2 auratus in the tank?

It could be that this is a dominant female that has taken on male coloration. I had this happen when I kept Lab. perlmutts. I thought I had a male untill I found "him" holding. She had become the dominant fish in the tank and took on male coloration. She was completely pearly white with no barring at all, exactly like a nice male would be.

Also in the tank(210 gallon)....

2- Full grown wild caught severums

3- Electric yellows(2")

2-Male red zebra

2-Red empress(2")

1-OB peacock

1- albino eureka red

1-large male convict

1- Venustus(3")

The male(Yellow one) auratus is only about 2-3" and the Female(black one) is about 5. Is it possible for them to breed? or is there another fish in the tank she would breed with?

It is possible that your auratus spawned together, but the Yellows and Zebras are not out of question.