Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/11/2011, 08:01 AM   #1
jayelblock
Registered Member

H. malu or dyed common sebae?

I bought this anemone believing it was H. malu, but now I'm not so sure. I do see white bands on the tentacles when they are less inflated. Also, a few tentacles are pink, so perhaps it is not dyed.

Opinions from the experts, please. It was purchased from a reputable LFS who will take it back if I wish.

jayelblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Reefvette
Registered Member

It looks dyed with that yellow color, most sebea anemones are brown or purpleish or white when they first come in.

Unread 04/11/2011, 08:29 AM   #3
iceh
Registered Member

not an expert, but it looks dyed.

Unread 04/11/2011, 08:34 AM   #4
jayelblock
Registered Member

This thread shows an anemone identified as H. malu, undyed, which also has a few pink tentacles. That's why I'm not sure...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ht=yellow+malu

Unread 04/11/2011, 08:40 AM   #5
davocean
Registered Member

Looks like a Malu to me, and yellow is a natural color for them.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2011, 09:27 AM   #6
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

It is bleached. It is dyed.

As far as whether it is H. malu or H. crispa, it is almost impossible to tell from above - particularly when the anemone is stressed and the tentacles are short. Any way you could get a photo of the column? The column of H. crispa looks very different from that of H. malu.

Unread 04/11/2011, 09:29 AM   #7
jayelblock
Registered Member

It has tucked itself under a rock and into the sand. I don't wish to stress it more by digging it out. What column characteristics differentiate H. crispa from H. malu?

Unread 04/11/2011, 09:31 AM   #8
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayelblock View Post
This thread shows an anemone identified as H. malu, undyed, which also has a few pink tentacles. That's why I'm not sure...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ht=yellow+malu
I'm not 100% convinced that is a H. malu and not a H. aurora. I am almost positive it is dyed, however. People need to look at the column for a definitive ID. In captivity, and particularly when stressed, anemones can look very different from when they are seen in the wild. However, "lumpy" tentacles generally means H. aurora - H. malu looks similar but does not have the swellings on the tentacles. People get confused because H. malu can sometimes have striping on the tentacles - but never lumps.

Last edited by BonsaiNut; 04/11/2011 at 09:44 AM.
BonsaiNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2011, 09:38 AM   #9
jayelblock
Registered Member

What am I looking for on the column that helps provide the definitive ID?

Unread 04/11/2011, 09:41 AM   #10
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Quote:
It has tucked itself under a rock and into the sand. I don't wish to stress it more by digging it out. What column characteristics differentiate H. crispa from H. malu?
H. crispa has a column that looks wrinkled - particularly up beneath the oral disk. Some people describe it as looking "leathery". It is also relatively thick-feeling to the touch.

H. malu has a thinner column that is smooth (though it has prominent verrucae). The column of H. malu is also very soft.

If I had to GUESS - I would say that looks like a dyed H. malu. But I have been wrong before when guessing based only on tentacles. This weekend I was at a LFS where I saw a carpet that I would have said 99.9% was a haddoni based on the tentacles. However once I saw the column it was unmistakenly a gigantea. Once settled in a new healthy tank, it would probably go back to looking like a gigantea as well...

Unread 04/11/2011, 09:46 AM   #11
jayelblock
Registered Member

Probably H. crispa then, although it I only saw the column during acclimation, and the anemone was rather contracted. I'll keep an eye on it once it settles in and see if the column remains wrinkled.

Unread 04/11/2011, 09:57 AM   #12
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

For what it's worth - signs of dying include universal coloration, particularly the fluorescent yellow/green that this anemone is exhibiting (probably caused by the use of fluorescent green marking dye which is biodegradable and widely available). I have never seen an anemone in the wild (either personally, or in a photo) with this coloration.

Natural fluorescent pigmentation in anemones is typically only found on surfaces that are exposed to bright sunlight - and it fades in the absence of bright light relatively quickly. Understand that fluorescent pigmentation BLOCKS light - so generally an anemone would only generate it if it was being bathed in intense light with a relatively high intensity of UVR.

I would bet that in a year this anemone (assuming it recovers from being bleached) is a healthy brownish color without any yellow/green left.

Unread 04/11/2011, 10:49 AM   #13
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Quote:
Probably H. crispa then, although it I only saw the column during acclimation, and the anemone was rather contracted. I'll keep an eye on it once it settles in and see if the column remains wrinkled.
The reasons why I think it might be a malu (based only on the tentacles) is that the tentacles look a little bulb-shaped. H. malu has short tentacles that are thin at the base, get thicker, and then taper to a point. Additionally, H. malu will have a lot of variability in tentacle size and length - even within the same row. H. crispa is much more uniform, and its tentacles are more consistently tapered and do not exhibit bulbs.

Just sharing my thoughts - we won't really know until we can see the column. Over time however the anemone should settle in and start to look more "natural".

Unread 04/11/2011, 11:03 AM   #14
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Because there is so much incorrect information out there, here are a couple of decent images of H. malu to reference.

Notice the short tentacles (versus crispa's much longer ones) and the unique shape that they have. The second anemone is displaying fluorescent green pigmentation on the oral disk - note that it does not cover the entire anemone.

(First anemone may be dyed... note the uniform color, and the fact that the interior of the actinopharynx (the "throat" of the anemone) is also a purple color (should be off-white or pale))

Last edited by BonsaiNut; 04/11/2011 at 11:35 AM.
Unread 04/11/2011, 11:13 AM   #15
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Here's a malu exhibiting striped tentacles. Note - stripes YES, lumps NO.

Same anemone, after it had settled into the owner's aquarium. Note the lack of lumps on the tentacles.

Unread 04/11/2011, 11:25 AM   #16
jayelblock
Registered Member

Thanks for all the excellent information and pictures. I will keep an eye on it and baby it along until it recovers. As soon as I can get a picture of the column, I will post it in this thread. I'm hoping the anemone will begin to stretch toward the light more aggressively and then I can get a good shot.

Unread 04/11/2011, 01:46 PM   #17
wfournier
Registered Member

These have been talked about before, it is a H. Aurora (or at least that is what it has been I.D. as in the past).

http://www.meerwasserwiki.de/w/index...eractis_aurora

(a translated version: http://translate.google.com/translat...eractis_aurora)

http://littlebignanoreef.blogspot.co...1_archive.html

There was another link that shows one in the wild that I cannot find at the moment.

wfournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2011, 02:05 PM   #18
wfournier
Registered Member

Found an old thread about them: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1799060

Unread 04/11/2011, 02:24 PM   #19
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfournier View Post
These have been talked about before, it is a H. Aurora (or at least that is what it has been I.D. as in the past).
It is NOT a H. aurora. Here's a photo of a H. aurora. H. aurora is called a "beaded anemone" for a reason. Hard to mistake those tentacles for anything else.

Just because a web site is in German, doesn't mean it's correct LOL - ich bin Deutscher

Last edited by BonsaiNut; 04/11/2011 at 02:37 PM.
Unread 04/11/2011, 02:33 PM   #20
wfournier
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonsaiNut View Post
It is NOT a H. aurora. Did you read anything I posted? Do you even know what an H. aurora looks like?
Wow did someone take your favorite toy?

I have probably seen 30-40 of these over the past year and some of them show beading some do not. I qualified my statement to say that is what others have identified them as. That being said I feel confident that the anemones shown in the links I posted are the same as the one pictured by the OP.

Unread 04/11/2011, 02:47 PM   #21
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfournier View Post
Wow did someone take your favorite toy?
No, I just write a long detailed description of the difference between a couple of species, and someone else comes along and says - nope you're wrong and here's a blurry fuzzy photo of a bleached and stressed anemone to show why

I may have SOUNDED upset but I was being honest. Did you read what I wrote? Do you have the slightest idea of what you are talking about? Or do you just make this stuff up?

If you Google Heteractis malu probably 75% or more of the images are incorrect. If your only reference is what you see on a some random site, how do you know it is correct? At least I can say with honesty that I am posting information from scientific books - and have seen all of these species in the wild when they appear "normal" - and I try to say I am uncertain when anemones are stressed and have been dyed.

And no I am not mad I'm just being frank.

Last edited by BonsaiNut; 04/11/2011 at 03:00 PM.
Unread 04/11/2011, 03:13 PM   #22
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

For fun, here's a couple of anemones from the same location:

First, H. aurora

Second, H. malu

For bonus points, name the clownfish. It's relatively uncommon.

Unread 04/11/2011, 03:26 PM   #23
doylef4i
Registered Member

Amphiprion latezonatus is my guess.

doylef4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2011, 03:34 PM   #24
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylef4i View Post
Amphiprion latezonatus is my guess.
Nope Less common than that

Last edited by BonsaiNut; 04/11/2011 at 03:41 PM.
Unread 04/11/2011, 05:06 PM   #25
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Here's a hint. First, another photo of the same fish in the malu:

Then an older version of the same species in a mertensii: