• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

75. Tour de Pologne, 4-10 August (2.UWT)

Route:

Pretty much the same as over previous years – the same race design and the same geographical area. A well-balanced combination of flat stages for the pure sprinters and rolling hilly/medium mountain stages ending with uphill finishes for GC contenders. Stages are short or very short as per WT standards (the longest stage = 179 km). No time trial.

Stage 1: Kraków – Kraków, 134 km (flat)
u8dtwf.jpg

Stage 2: Tarnowskie Góry – Katowice, 156 km (flat)
Gfxecf.jpg

Stage 3: Chorzów – Zabrze, 139 km (flat)
beH3Or.jpg

Stage 4: Jaworzno – Szczyrk, 179 km (hilly/medium mountain, HTF)
39SydO.jpg

This is where the real race begins for the GC contenders (last year, Dylan Teuns won on the same short sharp final climb, and that ultimately proved enough for the overall GC triumph).

Stage 5: Wieliczka – Bielsko-Biała, 152 km (hilly)
zf752Z.jpg

This could be an interesting stage to watch, as all the main difficulties of the day are located in the last 40 km of the race, ending with a rather demanding lap to be ridden three times (2 km long uphill drag to the finish line, 4% on average). This may prove too much for typical sprinters. “All-terrain” sprinters or puncheurs can take this one.

Stage 6: Zakopane – Bukowina Tatrzańska, 129 km (hilly/medium mountain, HTF)
HbFQFl.jpg

An Ardennes-type stage (but shortish), typical for the final phase of this race. Either a solo win of a GC contender or a sprint from a reduced group of GC favourites.

Stage 7: Bukowina Tatrzańska – Bukowina Tatrzańska, 136 km (hilly/medium mountain, HTF)
gOS5fH.jpg

Very similar to stage 6, just a different combination of climbs. The same prediction: a solo GC guy win or an uphill sprint fight between several GC contenders.

Startlist (teams and notable riders):

Ag2R (Bakelants)
Astana (Lutsenko)
Bahrain (Bonifazio, Gasparotto, Visconti)
BMC (Dennis, Roche, Teuns)
Bora (Ackermann, Buchmann, Formolo, Konrad)
Dimension Data (Boasson Hagen, O’Connor)
EF-Cannondale (Modolo, Moreno)
Groupama-FdJ (Pinot)
Katusha (Spilak)
Lotto-Jumbo (Bennett, van Poppel)
Lotto-Soudal (Greipel)
Mitchelton (Albasini, Kreuziger, Mezgec, Trentin, S. Yates)
Movistar (Betancur, Carapaz)
Quickstep (de Plus, Hodeg)
Sky (Henao, Kwiatkowski)
Sunweb (Bauhaus, Oomen)
Trek (Brambilla, Nizzolo, Pantano)
UAE Emirates (Aru, Consonni, Costa)

Wildcards:
CCC (Antunes, Tratnik)
Cofidis (Bouhanni)
Gazprom (Rovny)
Poland national team (Paterski, Rutkiewicz)

Full startlist (provisional):
https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-de-pologne/2018/startlist

There will be a solid bunch of top- and second-tier sprinters (Ackermann, Bauhaus, Bonifazio, Bouhanni, Consonni, Greipel, Hodeg, Mezgec, Modolo, Nizzolo, van Poppel) going for flat sprint stages, plus some fast guys who could do well also in hilly terrain (Battaglin, Boasson Hagen, Trentin, Visconti).

GC-wise, the favourites seem to be (in alphabetical order): Aru, Bennett, Betancur, Brambilla, Buchmann, Carapaz, de Plus, Formolo, Henao, Konrad, Kwiatkowski, O’Connor, Oomen, Pantano, Pinot, Spilak, Teuns, S. Yates. This is ofc based on the assumption that they are all in shape and they will treat this event not as a prep race only.

Quite a lot of national champions in the peloton: Ackermann (Germany), Duchesne (Canada), Edmondson (Australia), Henao (Colombia), Kwiatkowski (Poland), Lutsenko (Kazakhstan), Morkov (Denmark) and Rovny (Russia).

Roadbook: http://www.tourdepologne.pl/pl/media/#

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
Rather good there is no TT. These stages are not hard enough for big gaps. TT would have played way too much factor.

Last year was super fun battle with Teuns defending his GC by few seconds. I expect anther close battle this yearm

Mostly a tried and tested parcours. But why change it if it isn't broken? The long drag finish in Bielsko-Biała is the biggest novelty. Battaglin and EBH shoud do well there. I expect a bit fight between BMC and Mitchelto. The irregular Bukowina Wall is always a fun climb (to watch).

I have no clue whats up with the length of these stages. Flat stages of around 140 km is something that pretty much every cyclist can do, its just too much (or too little, rather!). Seriously, most cycling can average 40 km/ph in a bunch on a completely flat stage. I hope the guys who are preparing for other races are doing at least an hours afterwards as well.

The hilly stages are nice, but extremely short.

Two Bukowina laps, yaaaay... At least the first Bukowina stage has different hills even if it should be reworked. Sad that Przegibek is so far away from the finish but then it could be an interesting fight between more durable sprinters and punchers. I guess the stages were shortened to keep the transfers less. Technically i don't care about the stage's length but lately they're really getting shorter and shorter. Maybe i just need more time to get used to this trend.

Below are the profiles used on the official site. I guess they're be dead in next couple of months though.
e_1_5.jpg

e_2_5.jpg

e_3_5.jpg

e_4_5.jpg

e_5_5.jpg

e_6_5.jpg

e_7_5.jpg