• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 93 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
perhaps there should be a new game of highest DNFs How many so far?
Perhaps people should stop being fixated with his DNFs. Is it a good sign? No, but once again, more than 80 riders didn't finish today. And can we expect something else from Betancur? Everybody knows he's not in top shape, but today was only his sixth raceday this year. Even in his best years, he needed at least ten racedays to get some 'decent' results (please have a look at PCS or another site). If you consider this, then it's no gift to start your season with Strade Bianche, Sanremo and three races in Flanders.

I'm not expecting miracles - yes, he has motivation problems, and yes, he has weight issues, I'm not neglecting that - but I think it's better to draw conclusions after some more races, for instance like after Circuit de Sarthe.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
He's clearly lost too much weight. He was finishing races earlier this season before he overtrained and got too lean. Movistar should rest him to avoid illness or injury.

Re:

luckyboy said:
This is Dani Sanchez: "Yes friends, Carlos Betancur will race Flanders. Another DNF is expected.."

Si amigos Carlos Betancur estara en el Tour de Flandes. Se espera otro DNF
https://twitter.com/ruedalenticular/status/847906346439778304

Dani Sanchez is Movistar's digital editor, sometimes acting as press officer
I don't know who Dani Sanchez is, but can you explain me where you see it is Dani Sanchez who's posting this? As far as I see, it's 'Rueda lenticular', a cycling website, that posted this tweet. Is that Dani Sanchez the man behind that website?

Anyway, his next races should be RVV, Sarthe, Klasika Primavera. After this block of racing we should know more.

Dani was a cycling fan who got hired to be press officer with the Andorra-Grandvalira team and did such a great job he was hired by Movistar as part of the PR staff. He's been there ever since.

I don't know anything about him writing for that site though. And I don't see why he'd say anything negative about a rider on the team he works for.

I think I've seen him post around here before so he might weigh in if he sees this.

Re: Re:

Popchu said:
luckyboy said:
This is Dani Sanchez: "Yes friends, Carlos Betancur will race Flanders. Another DNF is expected.."

Si amigos Carlos Betancur estara en el Tour de Flandes. Se espera otro DNF
https://twitter.com/ruedalenticular/status/847906346439778304

Dani Sanchez is Movistar's digital editor, sometimes acting as press officer
I don't know who Dani Sanchez is, but can you explain me where you see it is Dani Sanchez who's posting this? As far as I see, it's 'Rueda lenticular', a cycling website, that posted this tweet. Is that Dani Sanchez the man behind that website?

Anyway, his next races should be RVV, Sarthe, Klasika Primavera. After this block of racing we should know more.

He should be able to do well in Primavera after racing that schedule..

He did relatively well in Sarthe last year on the last couple of stages so thats a good marker as well.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Wonder if Sanchez only means it to say they aren't expecting results, but just for him to get some more race miles and hang in as long as possible. Hard to see DS going public with snark unless Movistar really are super sick of Betancur.

Re:

GuyIncognito said:
Dani was a cycling fan who got hired to be press officer with the Andorra-Grandvalira team and did such a great job he was hired by Movistar as part of the PR staff. He's been there ever since.

I don't know anything about him writing for that site though. And I don't see why he'd say anything negative about a rider on the team he works for.

I think I've seen him post around here before so he might weigh in if he sees this.
Dani Sanchez was also a pretty active poster in the first years of PCMDaily with the username Dankan( around 1000 posts till 2009, then he didn't post in PCMDaily after and the website of him there links him to linkedin where he is shown to be working on Movistar since 2011)

Re:

yaco said:
Of course Betancur does himself no favors with his preparation, but at the same time, it's like MovieStar punish Betancur by making him race in unsuitable parcours.
Maybe they should let him choose his racing program. And pick 5-6 domestiques to do the same races and work for him nonstop. And get him a sprint train.

Re: Re:

hrotha said:
yaco said:
Of course Betancur does himself no favors with his preparation, but at the same time, it's like MovieStar punish Betancur by making him race in unsuitable parcours.
Maybe they should let him choose his racing program. And pick 5-6 domestiques to do the same races and work for him nonstop. And get him a sprint train.

I'm imagining 5-6 guys constantly relaying back and forth from the team car bringing him bottles of molten Häagen-Dazs

I remember last year being very similar, until he started riding ok in like Castillia y Leon or so, and then he was a pretty good domestique in LBL whilst still being too heavy. Then I didn't think about him again until he comes up fatter than ever at the start of this year. What's gonna happen now?

Re:

Red Rick said:
I remember last year being very similar, until he started riding ok in like Castillia y Leon or so, and then he was a pretty good domestique in LBL whilst still being too heavy. Then I didn't think about him again until he comes up fatter than ever at the start of this year. What's gonna happen now?

Last year he rode the Giro when still unfit - Never recovered.