• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Presidential Cycling Tour of Turkey 2017 (2.UWT)

Presidential Cycling Tour of Turkey 2017 (2.UWT)

Stage: 1 - 10 October : Alanya - Kemer, 176.70 km
Stage: 2 - 11 October : Kumluca - Fethiye, 206.00 km
Stage: 3 - 12 October : Fethiye - Marmaris, 128.60 km
Stage: 4 - 13 October : Marmaris - Selçuk, 205.30 km
Stage: 5 - 14 October : Selçuk - Izmir, 166.00 km
Stage: 6 - 15 October : Istanbul, 143.70 km

This is going to be televised live on
TRTSpor http://www.trt.net.tr/anasayfa/canli.aspx?y=tv&k=trtspor at 14:15 CET
Eurosport at 15:00 CET
hence this thread.

Official web site:
http://www.tourofturkey.org.tr/EN

WT Teams:
ASTANA PRO TEAM
BORA-HANSGROHE
TREK-SEGAFREDO
UAE - TEAMEMIRATES

Startlist here http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?detp=view&_ap=startlijst&editie_idd=Mjc4Njg=
No Rebellin :(

Nice big map with profiles here:
http://www.tourofturkey.org.tr/Upload/resimler/Etaplar/stage_maps/all_stages_2017_tr_eng_v6_lzw.jpg

yQrFx2.gif

DeYnC3.gif

SKSemtex said:
I do not want to mix politics with sport but I really hate THAT MONSTRUM.
I hoped none WT team have gone there. :cry:
Only 4 WT teams there.

Looking ahead to the inaugural Tour of Guangxi, it has 16 WT teams, with some pretty big names.
Sprinters: Garviria, Matthews, Ewan, Groenewegan ...
GC : Kelderman, Landa, Fugsang, Mollema ...

They might as well just award all the flat stages to Bennett in advance. He went way too early and still won comfortably. Why are all the other actually fast sprinters doing Guangxi instead of Turkey? The field here looks like one of the hundred little French races where one sprinter clubs a peloton of non-sprinters.

Re:

WheelofGear said:
To be fair, it looked like a CT race. Why on earth is this and the smoggy race in China on the WT Calendar but not historic autumn races like Giro dell'Emilia and Paris-Tours?
I kind of agree that moving Tour of Turkey to WT is a questionable move anyway, but this is actually WORLD Tour, not Western Europe Tour so we need a couple of races outside of historical cycling countries to be included and we can't accomodate all historic races in WT because there are so many of them. So I agree that Tour of Turkey might have not deserved a WT status but disagree with sentiment that every historic race should get a WT spot over every race held in "exotic" country.

Zinoviev Letter said:
They might as well just award all the flat stages to Bennett in advance. He went way too early and still won comfortably. Why are all the other actually fast sprinters doing Guangxi instead of Turkey? The field here looks like one of the hundred little French races where one sprinter clubs a peloton of non-sprinters.
Part of me wishes Bora had sent Bennett to P-T instead. He's in excellent form, his leadout train is strong. They could've really made Quickstep work harder for that win on Sunday.

I do get that the "World" Tour can't just stay in the 3 Grand Tour countries and their neighbours, though. Maybe it's something that can be addressed in the calendar.

Leinster said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Part of me wishes Bora had sent Bennett to P-T instead. He's in excellent form, his leadout train is strong. They could've really made Quickstep work harder for that win on Sunday.

I do get that the "World" Tour can't just stay in the 3 Grand Tour countries and their neighbours, though. Maybe it's something that can be addressed in the calendar.

on the "new" finish there has been only one sprint in 6 years in Paris-Tours.

...not to mention the fact that Bora didn't even take part in that race :D

search said:
Leinster said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

Details...

search said:
Leinster said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

I did point out Bora's absence on the P-T race thread.

I guess they made the calculation that 2-3 WT stage wins are worth more than a valiant effort in an old, non-WT classic.