• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto. erythrura Rio-Mamore

Mike Jacobs

Mike Wise . . . I am having an ID problem . . . not me, but an Apisto!!!! About 2 months ago I got a very, very young pair of apistos . . . they were named A. erythrura Rio-Mamore. The first picture is of the new apistos and that picture was taken today . . . they are just getting of age. The second picture is of A. sp. Mamore I took many many many years ago . . . the new fish don't seem to have the white body. Do I have some A. trifasciata now????
Erythrura-Rio-Mamore_9_web.jpg

Mamore_1_web.jpg

Thank, Mike

Mike Jacobs

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mike, they look like different color morphs/populations of the same species to me. Color isn't as important as the dark markings. Here's a simple way to separate A. erythrura from A. trifasciata.

A. trifasciata: lateral band is of even width along its length and the species shows a (more or less) visible diagonal abdominal stripe.

A. erythrura: lateral band grows wider along its length, being noticeably wider at the caudal peduncle than at the pectoral fins and the species shows no diagonal abdominal stripe (unless preserved in alcohol and then it's very faint).

Color-wise, your new specimens look more like specimens from the Rio Guaporé than your original specimen, which looks like a typical lower Rio Mamoré form.

Mike Jacobs

GREAT explanation, Mike! Ok . . . that settles it . . . but probably from the Rio Guapore not the Rio Mamore!!! Sounds like a deal!!!

Thanks again!!!

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….