FS Synodontis Njassae, Bergenfield, NJ, Pick Up Only

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrpln03

AC Members
Nov 17, 2008
New Jersey USA
8 years old and about 7 inches. He has the best markings I've ever seen on this species. This catfish comes from Lake Malawi in Africa and is said to be the only catfish that can coexist with Lake Malawi Chiclids. These are rare catfish and the ones you do see are usually wild caught and much smaller. I'll take $75 for him.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Thank you for the pictures.

I'm sad to say that I don't think this is actually a Synodontis Njassae. I asked on Planet catfish to be sure but most there think you have some sort of hybrid. Possibly a Synodontis ocellifer hybrid of some type. Where did you get your syno from?
Too bad it's not a Synodontis Njassae, nice syno though.
It's a really nice syno though.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I agree, this looks like a hybrid to me also. Here's a pic of a S. njassae:

Noticeable differences around the head and tail area...

mstrpln03

AC Members
Nov 17, 2008
New Jersey USA
Got it from my friend about a year ago, he had it for 7 years. That's what he told me it was. What do you think I should label it as? A syno hybrid?

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Hmm, I would try to get in touch with Planet Catfish about that...they're the experts. I signed up at their forum, don't post there very often, but when I do I get excellent replies :) Maybe someone here is a Syno expert though!

mstrpln03

AC Members
Nov 17, 2008
New Jersey USA
OK, I've spoken to all the experts on planetcatfish and the consensus is: This is not a Synododontis Nsjassae, the best ID I can get is it looks like it could be a Hybrid Synodontis Ocellifer. That's the best answer. I've been examining pics of Synodontis Ocellifer and the differences, to my eye are coloration (he's more brown) and the tail markings are different.

That said he's still a gorgeous, large Syno and I've decided that if he doesn't sell I am setting up a Rift Lake tank.

Sorry for the confusion, I myself was misinformed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store