Thinking about adding Brichardi Fairy Cichlid to my fishroom.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
Hey all,

I will have an empty 55 soon and am thinking about putting a breeding group of Brichardi Fairy Cichlids in it. I have seen a few pics of them and they are really a beautiful fish. For those who keep them - what are the pros and cons and are you happy with them? Where is the best place to buy them? What are the more colorful strains? Any other general information would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
I have kept and bread Neo. Brichardi. They are cool. The young help raise the future fry. It is really cool. A 55 would make for a nice species tank.

I kept mine in a 90 with a ton to stacked river rocks..

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Brichardi type species are really cool fish, but they get very aggressive when spawning. I'd keep it at a species only tank, or maybe do some shellies with a ton of shells.

Some species I like are:
Neolamprologus helianthus
Neolamprologus%20helianthus%20Kamakonde.jpg

Neolamprologus marunguensis:
Neolamprologus%20marunguensis%20Kapampa.jpg

Neolamprologus pulcher:
Neolamprologus%20pulcher%20Kantalamba.jpg

Those pics are all from www.davesfish.com and he's got them all listed as in stock. He's local to me and has great fish. Of those above, I've only kept the pulcher, but they were very pretty, very nice fish.

Neolamprologus%20helianthus%20Kamakonde.jpg Neolamprologus%20marunguensis%20Kapampa.jpg Neolamprologus%20pulcher%20Kantalamba.jpg

Pearl

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
Michigan
Real Name
Vicki
I have a marunguensis colony in a 45 long. My advice is to include a predator species such as a cuckoo cat (synodontis multipunctatus) to control the brichardi population. Good luck!

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
Hey all,

Thanks for the info, pics and the link. I have contacted Dave's to see what he would recommend. Wow he has a lot of different offerings!

Thanks again,

Jerzboi

AC Members
Jan 13, 2009
Pine Level, NC
Real Name
Brad
I have kept Neo. Brichardi in my 55 gall as well, prob be better if they were alone as jpap's said
I kept mine with a couple small Yellow Labs and they were fine and even bred for me a couple times
If you want to see them breed and have young, i would do species only. My Brichardi were pretty social, loved to follow me when i was in the room

I hope you get a nice pair, keep us updated

oh, idk what substrate you are planning on, but they loved the "play sand" i got in my tank

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
Hey all,

Thanks abain for the input - I am going to go with species only, just have to decide on which one. Dave said that the daffodil and the helianthus are pretty popular - either would be a good choice (said that the heli is a little smaller and a little more aggressive). I am kinda liking the kapampa, but I'm partial to blue over yellow. I have pool filter sand in all my tanks but may have to add some "cichild sand" to raise my ph. Not sure on that one yet, still in the thinking phase. I went through a fish book I have and dog earred several pages of possibilities. So fun to have a clean slate to consider! Well - I have pygmy sunfish (2 kinds) and florida flagfish coming tomorrow so need to get the tanks ready for them. I'll keep you posted on the "final" decision - will be pretty soon.

Thanks again,

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
Well - I have a dozen daffodils coming next week! Can't wait - I just finished doing some tank shuffling and have their 55 up and running. This is going to be so different from my other fish - the tank actually looks like a real tank, not a breeder tank. I have rocks stacked with breeder caves scattered and cichlid sand - so cool. It is REALLY cloudy right now, once it settles I will post a pic - these will be some fun fish!

I'm so excited!! How geeky is that??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store