PUNDAMILIA ??? "Crimson Tide" what is it really.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've had this guy for awhile now I bought him as a "crimson tide". They also told me it is a F2 (but who really knows) Well I can't seem to figure out what exactly a crimson tide is. Some sites say its a Hap. some say its a PUNDAMILIA NEYEREI and others say its a PUNDAMILIA SP. And it almost looks like a thick-skin sp 44. Which one is accurate? I would like to breed them but I don't wanna get hybrids or risk buying the wrong females and them not breeding. And also does there anyone out there feel like doing a detailed profile on it with mabey some breeding info for me if not just an accurate label so I can find all the info myself at least would help. Thank you all in advance.

IMG_20130324_022753.jpg

ForumRunner_20130324_024338.jpg

the one website that said crimson tides are Pundamilia sp. did mention that they used to be haps but were recently changed from Haplochromis sp. to Pundamilia sp. since it is not from Malawi but is from lake Victoria but like i mentioned another site said crimson tides are pundamilia nyerei does anyone know the difference

edit-so i can cross thick skin sp 44 off the list of possibilities

Last edited:
the one website that said crimson tides are Pundamilia sp. did mention that they used to be haps but were recently changed from Haplochromis sp. to Pundamilia sp. since it is not from Malawi but is from lake Victoria but like i mentioned another site said crimson tides are pundamilia nyerei does anyone know the difference

edit-so i can cross thick skin sp 44 off the list of possibilities

The picture on cichlid forum profile looks just like a sub dominate male. Idk I'm not very good at ID these dudes.

So he is defiantly a pundamilia sp "crimson tide" I called the place I got him they used to be classified as a hap but a few yrs ago the scientists changed it. Now we just need to find someone who has a profile for them so I better know his needs since he is my favorate fish

And he gets cichlid flakes when the lights go one and small cichlid pellets in the evening sometimes they get a snack mid day if they look hungry and twice a week they get bloodworms and brineshrimp or bloodworms and emerald entree I switch back and forth. And he is constantly poopin I don't know where it comes from he poops more in 2 days than he has body mass lol he is the only one that poops like that.

The picture on cichlid forum profile looks just like a sub dominate male. Idk I'm not very good at ID these dudes.

His color fades drastically in and out when he is excited eating fighting etc is goes from almost completely grayish to full color in a matter of about 2 seconds.

Thanks ill have to cc heck it out

Back
Top Bottom