MY NEW BEARDIE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so worried right now! :cry: :cry: :cry:
I do not know what to do. My new beardie (who has been with me for a week) is not active. In fact I would says he's boring! I mean not just basking but if I leave him somewhere (like a stone) he will stay there for about an hour and not do anything (like he is thinking). He eats well though!!! :banghead:
I mean when I give him a bath his stress marks nearly disappear but when he goes inside his viv then they appear dark as ever! He had pooping problems in the last few days (not pooing for 6 days) but he pooped yesterday.
My Setup:
.20 gallon Exo Terra Tank
.Arcadia Mini D3 UV Basking Bulb (MVB)
.Feed Locusts size between eyes
.Bathe twice daily to reduce stress
Can I attribute this to relocation stress as I've had him for a week
He is quite boring compared to what I hear of everybody else's Beardies :oops: :oops: :( :( :lurk:
Please Help!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :( :( :cry:

BeardiesAreBoss

Original Poster
How can I make him eat his locusts? He almost seems scared of them? What can I do?
NB: His last poop, the urate was slightly greenish? :shock:

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
My beardies both get grumpy and don't want to eat when they're getting ready for a shed. My youngest pigs out after words so prepare for that possibility.

I agree he looks like a healthy little beardie. Just be patient and keep an eye on his pooping, a little bit of apple sometimes will help them go as well because of the acid. Not too much though.

He is very very cute so just enjoy him :)

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Pig out meaning she eats quite a bit more than she normally does.

Beardies are pretty good at shedding on there own so I wouldn't worry too much about helping him shed. The only time you should help is after the shed is finished and they have trouble with there tails and toes sometimes and you don't want to cut off circulation. Not super common though, I've only dealt with it once or twice.

BeardiesAreBoss

Original Poster
It's just that I'm so worried that he is not eating his locusts
He does not even notice them and when I use the tweezers he looks away?
Resulted to giving him his calcium and vitamins with a splash of water :roll:
Only beginning to shed his tail and I've heard that they take the longest :banghead:
How long should I expect his loss of appetite as I get worried when he does not eat?
When I first got him he was a PIG eating about 50-60 crickets a day and now he does not want to eat :roll:
Does not even eat his salad!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Arcadia D3 12% mini UVB, is that a compact/coil light? Can you post a picture of the light?
How close is the light to him & are you using a bright white light directly beside it for him?

They do lose their appetites while shedding also. He is way too young to brumate though, so that wont be the problem right now.
He could also be going through relocation stress, too which is very normal for the youngsters.
You can try some bee pollen powder if you can find it at the health food store & sprinkle a little on his greens if he eats them at all. Keep offering the greens for him & eventually he will start to eat them on his own.
What type of worms do you have for him?

Tracie

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Is he being kept warm enough? (105-110) at basking area?

VcToo low of temps can lead to many of those symptoms...

Tonja

BD.org Addict
they stress when shedding but he looks great. they also get darker when basking to absorb heat and will lighten up when they are warm enough. They may also gape a bit to thermoregulate their temps. They do slow down eating when shedding..neither of mine are eating to much right now due to shed.

BeardiesAreBoss

Original Poster
Drache613":3g0n2sh2 said:
Hello,

The Arcadia D3 12% mini UVB, is that a compact/coil light? Can you post a picture of the light?
How close is the light to him & are you using a bright white light directly beside it for him?

They do lose their appetites while shedding also. He is way too young to brumate though, so that wont be the problem right now.
He could also be going through relocation stress, too which is very normal for the youngsters.
You can try some bee pollen powder if you can find it at the health food store & sprinkle a little on his greens if he eats them at all. Keep offering the greens for him & eventually he will start to eat them on his own.
What type of worms do you have for him?

Tracie
The Arcadia D3 UV Bulb is a MVB bulb bright white. He can get about 10-15 cm to the UVB as it is through a mesh. I originally had it further but moved it closer as I felt it wasn't hot enough for him (ordered a thermometer from Hong Kong)
He also has quite dark stress marks when basking (his skin goes dark as well) but I hear this is normal?
I bought some HiPP Organic Sweet Squash & Chicken and will be feeding him that for the moment (is it good?)
Here's a quote from website:
Many species of reptile and Amphibian require a warm spot under which they can bask, and become fully energised with heat and Ultra Violet. As in nature, these basking zones should be UV rich and stable. Arcadia Reptile is delighted to include a world exclusive “Mini M.V” lamp into our range of SBMVL. These much smaller R95 lamps emit a safe natural amount of UVB and a balanced UVA similar to wild exposure at lower fitting heights and also produce a good stable amount of heat.

These lamps are particularly suited to being fitted inside wooden vivaria and over mesh topped Terraria. These setups have historically suffered with heat rising to dangerous levels very quickly, and due to the limitations of height inside a vivarium, many of these lamps have been fitted too close to the animals.

The 80 watt Arcadia Mini D3 UVB basking lamp is a more energy efficient, high output, mercury vapour lamp that can used inside vivariums and over mesh topped, glass terrariums. This lamp will enable many more reptile and Amphibian keepers to create a good UV rich photogradient within the enclosure. With a target height of 20-30cms from lamp to animal this is the one stop mini solution to your animals basking needs.

80W Basking Lamp
http://urbanjunglereptiles.co.uk/ekmps/shops/urbanjungle/images/arcadia-d3-uv-basking-lamp-[2]-280-p.jpg

BeardiesAreBoss

Original Poster
He just randomly pooped (after about 4 days from not eating) and now seems a bit more active :blob5:
Are these pictures of a healthy poop?

Am now feeding him baby food (Hipp Organic Sweet Squash & Chicken mixed in with vitamins and calcium) is this good?
Finally seeming to have an interest In live food a bit (looking and following) :blob5: :blob5: :blob5:

He thanks you all for the help coming in

And the pic of the Arcadia D3 UV Basking Lamp I have

Thanks for all the help and support coming in!!!
:blob5: :blob5: :blob5: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8:

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What a super cute little baby! He looks healthy. At that size he really ought to be eating quite a lot.

I can't speak to the bulb, hopefully someone else can.

You really need to find out what the temperatures are, so that you can control them in the right range. Hopefully the thermometer you ordered is a probe style or temp gun. It's too difficult to judge by feel. It will also rule out temperature as the problem. Low temps can cause lack of appetite, poor digestion and fewer poops. It can also result make them appear dark as they darken their skin to absorb more heat.

The babyfood is fine to feed, but be careful of the vitamins, too much can cause overdose. Use just a small amount twice a week. Hopefully he will start taking the crickets again soon!

If you can get a hold of Phoenix worms (or calcium worms), butter worms or tiny hornworms you can see if he might be more interested in those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom