• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Labidochromis sp Hongi...Wild Caught!

fischfan13

Banned
Ok, so the October Photo Contest is finally over...which means I can talk about my next breeding project.

Many, many years ago I walked into a lfs in NJ and wanted to pick out something new. The older gentleman who worked there, and taught me an awful lot about Mbuna, suggested Labidochromis sp Hongi. Now this was before the Germans took this fish and made it popular by linebreeding it into what some keep as Red Top or Super Red Top (SRT) Hongi.
Personally I have never liked the SRT. As compared to the "true" Hongi it has always looked juiced to me.
My Hongi stayed with me for a long time...a very long time
At the very first ECC auction, back in the Spring of '09, I put up my very last bag of Hongi breeders to sell. When these were being bid on I could not believe how high of a price they went for. They were auction as Labidochromis Hongi, and not the Red Top variety. It didn't take very long for me to miss this fish in my fishroom.
A little over a year later my good friend Dave Schumacher told me that Wild Caughts had hit the States...I jumped all over these.
This is a pic of the dominant male in the group:
47405_153741147978036_100000264561192_384391_1542907_n.jpg

He was no where near fully grown. I had him and several other for a few weeks, until what must have been a parasite killed almost the entire group.
A few were saved...and all of these turned out to be females.
It took another year before more wild caughts hit the States.
Dave and I contacted each other immediately and I was shipped a few males.
Many weeks later and the dominant male has settled in:
029-3-1.jpg

056-2.jpg

040-3.jpg

I have one of my all-time favorite fish back!!!:party0003: