f. rostratus: malawi sand diver

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
here is a pic of the new rostratus, only got it late last month, seems very robust and eating well. It handles itself well with bigger tankmates, including a 7" D. kiwinge that tries to go after it. At what size do they normally color up if male?

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
He looks awesome sweet pick up!

MalawiTango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2008
N Virginia
Im in the market for some of those. Ive never seen one in person, only in pics but im dying to get one. The have a very unique coloration and they just look awesome. I imagine they color up just like any other hap, when mature enough to mate. I think it helps to keep them with females to remind them who they color up for.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I only picked up one, just got one of the larger ones in the tank and prayed it was male. Took my D. kiwinge a few months (4 or 5) to start showing some color. Are they generally fast growers or a bit slower like C. moori (or slow like fronts)?

c4cat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
australia
rostratus are SWEET, i orderd 5 and just waiting on them. Pretty chilled out for a big fish :)

fishfreak69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
South Carolina
Fossorochromis Rostratus usually tend to take a while to fully color up in a tank setting. Your best bet to get him jump started is put him in a pond/vat w/ some lady friends and I guarantee within 2-3 months he will be all jacked up with color. Below are a couple of males I have had. I have another 2 groups coming up and hopefully will be better than the original males. They get REALLY hot when they are breeding. To see them in person is another story as once you see one you are going to want one!! They get a blue irridescent sheen on there body with green tint.. If you get lucky enough and find a good strain of them they look extremely hot... I have attached a picture of my kiwinge to :)

808aquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
By the Corona Cooler
fishfreak69;2551910; said:
Fossorochromis Rostratus usually tend to take a while to fully color up in a tank setting. Your best bet to get him jump started is put him in a pond/vat w/ some lady friends and I guarantee within 2-3 months he will be all jacked up with color. Below are a couple of males I have had. I have another 2 groups coming up and hopefully will be better than the original males. They get REALLY hot when they are breeding. To see them in person is another story as once you see one you are going to want one!! They get a blue irridescent sheen on there body with green tint.. If you get lucky enough and find a good strain of them they look extremely hot... I have attached a picture of my kiwinge to :)

Where can I get one?

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
you guys all have some great looking rostratus, hopefully mine turns out to be a colorful male

mukundam123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2008
Sunderland
Wimmels;2552013; said:
We have about 40 at 4 inch, but you have to come to Holland to collect them =)

Do you ship to other parts of Europe? If not, any ideas of anyone in England who might stock them (I know its a stretch, but worth a try! hehe!)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store