FISH ID

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Agreed, never seen the red ... and the pattern of the blue on the flanks isn't right for red bahia's either. I know there are more closely related species as well, but they show up even less often.

Sab_Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
shoot . . . I'd just like to see a photo of the fish out of the d**n bag . . .

I'm less familiar with the geophagus family, but I just saw a picture on Rapps' site of geophagus iporangensis that looks as much like this fish as either of the two we're already arguing about

Joshooo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
I'll get some shots out of the bag ASAP (hopefully tomorrow)

And the reason it was still in a bag was i was draining cycled water from a current tank :) and I had to get some media from another cannister to get the ball rolling in my new one. Keeping a very close eye on possible spikes.. none as yet but its still very early days.

What would you like pictures of? I'll take a bunch but if you want any real focal points let me know and i'll do what I can with the gf's SLR. Its fun to play with :naughty:

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
What do you mean brasiliensis don't have red on the fins?

12" male brasiliensis.

Without doing fin and scale counts you cannot tell these two species apart. Odds are the fish are brasiliensis, as 99.9% of the fish on the market are brasiliensis.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Yeah, yours does have a thin line of red along the top edge of the dorsal Modest Man ... not as much as the OP poster but still ...

Actually, I don't think that many (99%) of our 'brasilinesis' out there are actual brasiliensis. I think it's similiar to the Geophagus surinamensis or Guianacara geayi where everything that looks like a brasiliensis complex fish is just called 'brasilensis'. Many people with sp. red bahia or 'Geophagus' Itapicuruensis have bought them as brasilensis. Unlike the two species above though that aren't actually in the hobby for the most part, brasiliensis is. And it seems highly variable ontop of all the look alike species. Until someone cracks down on the group and gives them a genus, I think it'll be confusion all around.

I know my brasilensis had zero red in the fins, but of course I'm not 100% it was a brasiliensis and not one of these dozen or so look alike species.

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
Modest_Man;3370198; said:
What do you mean brasiliensis don't have red on the fins?

12" male brasiliensis.

Without doing fin and scale counts you cannot tell these two species apart. Odds are the fish are brasiliensis, as 99.9% of the fish on the market are brasiliensis.

BEAUTIFUL fish! Do you have any pic of it when it was younger?
Sorry to derail.

Joshooo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
Okay soooo FINALLY got some snaps out of the bags! (Please note: Fish weren't actually in the bags still, just hadn't gotten round to taking the pictures haha)

Also, could anyone help me vent these fish? I have a couple of pictures but they arn't that clear..

FISH 1:

FISH 2:

Ghage

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2009
Ca
I agree with several of your posters, it looks like a Geophagus of some sort. It could be a Geophagus Jurupari, Altifrons or Brasiliensis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store