Mormyrus (mormyrops) Kannume Freshwater Dolphin Help!

stallion150

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
north carolina
Hi All---I've seen on the forums that some of our monsterfishkeepers have raised these fish from time to time.

I'm having one shipped to me in 2 weeks. Unfortunately, I've not had the best of luck with these fish. The two I had before were a similar species (mormyrus caballus). See picture below.

The first one died within 3 days; the second one lived for a month, though I swear I never once saw him eat--even though I tried to the best of my ability with bloodworms, tubifex, blackworms (live) etc.

I'm really hoping the one I get shortly makes it, because from all accounts they are amazing fish. The mormyrus kannume that i'll be getting in two weeks is posted below.

I would appreciate any advice you all have in keeping this fish alive. He'll be in a 75 gallon, moderately planted tank with a few rams, cory cats, and a baby geophagus as a tank mate.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Delhezi B

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2009
Southeast pa
I think that I saw a fish simlar to this one on an episode of planet earth it was eating african cichlids idk if this helps

stallion150

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
north carolina
Hey--yeah I saw that episode too. That was a related mormyrid but those guys are monsters--up to like 3-4 feet or something like that...I'd have a hell of a time trying to keep that..lol

Eoibio

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
*+*+ireland+*+*
Looks like a mormyraid papirus imo...I think that they are just sensitive fishes and they may need a longer time to acclimate or something..

synodontisjack

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
England, London
stallion150;3044187; said:
Hey--yeah I saw that episode too. That was a related mormyrid but those guys are monsters--up to like 3-4 feet or something like that...I'd have a hell of a time trying to keep that..lol
mormyrus anguilloides/ cornish jack I think.

chefjamesscott

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2008
regina saskatchewan canada
holy that is a nice looking fish I WANT ONE

Reactions: ShanerBock888

stallion150

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
north carolina
I'm getting the fish next monday....any advice on building a cave in a 75 to provide some shade? I thought about using slate rocks silicone glued together.

Thedaniokeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Small town near Toronto
Delhezi B;3049422; said:
oh so you dont feed this one cichlids :) that would be a hard fish to keep a fish that only ate cichlids lol
Convicts are common feeders:naughty::naughty::naughty:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store