need an ID... small little cute cichlids

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
just got these guys today at my work, they came in and they didnt want them, so i brang them home, there at most 3 inches and i know there some kind of acara or smaller acara lookalike. anyway, there in a 10 gallon now till friday, then they'll get an upgrade. theres four of em, and im really not sure what they are, ???????????? help

DSC02732.JPG

DSC02731.JPG

DSC02734.JPG

DSC02738.JPG

DSC02744.JPG

DSC02749.JPG

DSC02733.JPG

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
They're not Laetacara, they're one of the port cichlid varieties. There are several of them. I'm never good at figuring out which one it is, but yours show a lot of nice blue!

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
yeah, i got em because they showed so much blue, most of all the biggest one, anyone know what kind of port acara they are???

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
I was thinking port acara too. But the head looks too round so I would say Laetacara dorsigerus the port acara don't really have much blue. If they are Laetacara dorsigerus I want one.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Most port acaras have rounded heads. Mine all looked like that. There are also a few that show lots of blue and silver sheen. One group shows nice colors and the other is more drab brown, but I can never remember which is which (the northern group or the southern group).

Again, they're not Laetacara. I'm breeding L. dorsigera and they look like this:

There is a good article about all the port varieties here: http://www.fishchannel.com/freshwater-aquariums/species-info/cichlid/port-cichlids.aspx

I referenced this article many times when keeping ports.

Sab_Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
I tend to agree w/ ryansmith83, I don't think they are laetacara . . .

young port cichlids (c. portalagrensis) can look very similar to laetacara species, but I would say you most likely have young port cichlids

I have two adult blue ports, and I recently acquired three juvie red ports that look very much like yours

I'm on the road right now, but when I get back I can post some pics

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store