Polleni Questions with pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!

vdubs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
First off I would like to know if this is a male or female, can anybody tell?? And second, why does this polleni seem to be more green than black. Will the green go away with age and turn black, or will this polleni be this color for life? I am hoping that it will turn black like the pics of other ones that I have seen. Also does anyone know how big this polleni will get??

Picture 2944.jpg

Picture 2952.jpg

Reactions: DwarfCichlidLvr

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
I'm guessing it will get darker. Mine is a male (pretty sure) and wasn't that light in color when I bought it, but for a while he did occassionally change to a lighter color if he got spooked. I have seen some smaller ones at fish stores that look similar to yours. Doesn't look like it's the only fish in your tank. Is it the biggest? If not that might affect the color right now. Mine grew pretty fast and is probably about seven to eight inches now. I guess they can reach 12 inches. It's probably my favorite cichlid.

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
mine was lighter for a bit too. it will darken up with time. ive heard if the anal fin is rounded its a female. youre better off to look yourself than me to guess by the pic.

tr6

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
bay area
small spot paratilapia are not as dark as big spot paratilapia.
young paratilapia are not as dark as older paratilapia.
females are not as dark as males.
scared are not as dark as comfortable.

looks to me like you have a somewhat uncomfortable, female, young Paratilapia polleni "small spot".
they get about 12 inches.

Paratilapia polleni "small spot", nice huge head on that male!!!

jakemorries

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2009
uk
he is a beauty i got male and emale now male is 4 inches female is 2 inches and they are both a pale colour but they are new to my tank and they are the first fish i have ever owned that has not eaten on its first day in the tank its their 2nd day and still no eating

vdubs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
thanks for all the info guys!!!!!!!!! I was hopin for a male, owell.

Music_

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
Regina, Sk
My Male and Female show absolutely no difference in darkness. And I have to say that I have not seen a colour differentiation between the types (while in a non-stressed habitat). It has taken some of my fry more than a year and 1/2 to develop the full dark colour. In large quantities, only the dominant ones colour up quicker. Any that are stressed or sub-dominant (even at 6") will display poor colouration. I have found sexing them to be next to impossible until they pair up.

My 2 cents.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store