What's the difference between Nandopsis dovii &. Parachromis Dovii?

Rid_Ether

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2019
Kansas City, MO
After all this time is this still true?

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Scientific names have changed a few times which is is why. Currently they are:

Parachromis dovii
Chiapaheros grammodes
Parachromis fredrichsthalii

No more Loisellei. They were found to be fredrichsthalii.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although they were once combined......
The genus Nandopsis was recently restricted to only those cichlids native to the Caribbean islands (Cuba, Hispanola, Antilles) by characteristics, unique to their 50 million year evolutionary separation from the cichlids of the Central American mainland, so similar mainland species, needed to be removed from the genus Nandopsis, hence given the genus name, Parachromis.

Last edited:

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
... and the former P. friedrichsthalii is now P. multifasciatus.
Not from my search. All I can find is forums suggesting it’s multifasciatus. I couldn’t even find anything suggesting they are synonyms, which is what I originally thought..

Reactions: Rid_Ether

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
I am refering to Rico Morgensterns work :Fishes collected by Emanuel Ritter von Friedrichsthal
in Central America between 1838–1841

" Cichlasoma loisellei (Bussing, 1989), is synonymized with Parachromis friedrichsthalii (Heckel, 1840). The species hitherto referred to as P. friedrichsthalii takes the valid name Parachromis multifasciatus (Regan, 1905). "
It shows that the multifasciatus Regan described 1905 was mistaken as a synonym of P. friedrichsthalii. Since Heckel described 1840 a different Fish ( ex loisellei) before as friedrichsthalii, it (multifasciatus) is not a synonym and valid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store