Zebra Obliquidens - Edumacate me on this guy

GeriJo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2010
IL
The Zebra Obliquidens were thought to be completely extinct until an eccentric fish keeping multi-millionaire kicked the bucket and it was found that he had an enormous amount of these fish. Since then they have been bred to increase their numbers. That is why they often have an inbred appearance. I have 5 of them and had to do some research on the matter myself at one point... but there ya have it.

sick_lid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
Austin, TX
Fun fish. I have one along with an albino one, and they're constantly on the move. They've got big appetites, enjoy a little veggies from time to time, and don't bother with anything else in the tank besides eachother.

L~C~G

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2006
South Africa
I had some a long time ago and they were absolute beasts. They terrorized every other fish in my tank and the poor sub male used to get hammered.

They are very tough though. Even though the females would have shredded fins they bounced back very quickly.

I read in a local magazine many years back that when these guys were still found in the wild the females would actually group up and create a nursery for the fry and look after them together as a group.

It would be amazing to re-create that in captivity.

Here is a pic of the guys I had. No the best but i don't have them anymore so its the best I can do.

There is a breeder here in SA that has got some, I would love to keep them again but they are no good with peacocks IMO. You can see the poor sub male in the one pic.

DSC00203.JPG

DSC00330.JPG

DSC00105.JPG

deadman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2008
texas
this story is true as posted earlier in the thread.
The Zebra Obliquidens were thought to be completely extinct until an eccentric fish keeping multi-millionaire kicked the bucket and it was found that he had an enormous amount of these fish. Since then they have been bred to increase their numbers. That is why they often have an inbred appearance. I have 5 of them and had to do some research on the matter myself at one point... but there ya have it.

they are a decent looking species many are now being inported from tailand and teh east i would avoid them as the ones from there have been juiced and look real good for the first 4 months or so but then go south fast, thoes i have seen died. there are some very good strains available still. it amazes me that they were saved from one collection. the above pictured fish is a sp 44, not the same fish. sp 44. can be brutal the latisifacanita or zebra obliquedends is no where near that agressive. hap obliquedends has not been imported in to this country. its a name that lfs seem to tack on to victorians of most strains.

my fish pictured above
they were rather easy to spawn being mouth brooders. females will brood young 18-24 days depending on tepmpurature/producing any where from 13 fry when young to broods as large as 55 was my expierance. thier temerment is not to agressive to other species but males of the same species will become increasingly intollerant of other males. they can reach4 i-5 inch size. they do like someplants and rock work. they will feed on most comercial foods and should be varied high protien in small amounts like bloodworms can stimulate breeding.
great specis and easy to care for.

Blue2Fyre

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
^^Now THAT is a Zebra Obliquidens! Those fish look way better than the washed out ones I see around here.

emptyhead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
Ohio
Blue2Fyre;4450015; said:
^^Now THAT is a Zebra Obliquidens! Those fish look way better than the washed out ones I see around here.
Actually, no it is not.

The poster states that the pics are of sp. 44 (a different unnamed species).

prcdslnc13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2008
IL
I had a couple, meaner then hell, but awesome fish. Make sure to give them room or over stock. Once I started moving fish around and he saw room for territory, it was fishy massacre one by one.

GeriJo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2010
IL
emptyhead;4461796; said:
Actually, no it is not.

The poster states that the pics are of sp. 44 (a different unnamed species).
You should probably re-read what he wrote. He was referring to the photos of the fish above his post. They look nothing like a Zebra Obliquiden. The photos he posted however, are definitely Zebra Obliquidens with a massive dose of color!

bolivianbaby

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2010
Flowery Branch GA
I would LOVE to get my hands on some! They're gorgeous! I found some at an LFS, but they died during quarantine of a nasty infection.

What is the proper latin name for them? I see Astatotilapia obliquidens and Astatotilapia Latifasciata. Or are those two different species?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store