• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ashera cat for $22,000. Get one today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
11tol6p.jpg
261nvi8.jpg

http://www.lifestylepets.com/cats.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=490429&in_page_id=1770

A 4ft leopard for your living room (if you've got £12,000 in the kitty)
By BETH HALE - More by this author »

Last updated at 21:02pm on 29th October 2007
It is a sight to strike terror into the bravest of mice ... not to mention most breeds of dog.

The Ashera is billed as the world's "largest, rarest and most exotic" domestic cat. The large pointed ears and eye-catching coat come from two wild bloodlines, the African serval and Asian leopard cat, crossed with an undisclosed domestic breed.

It stands 4ft tall on its hind legs, lives for 25 years and weighs up to 30lb.

And with a price tag of around £12,000 including delivery from the U.S., it will leave your bank balance considerably lighter.

The Ashera is being sold by British internet entrepreneur Simon Brodie, whose Californian firm Lifestyle Pets used a team of geneticists to develop the ultimate designer pet.

Despite the daunting price he insists it is low-maintenance - good-tempered, child-friendly and happy to eat tinned food from the supermarket. Because of its exotic heritage, however, it does prefer a heated bed.

"They are expensive, but we've already sold a lot in the U.S., in Asia and even in Russia - our waiting list is nine months long," said Mr Brodie.

"People who love beautiful pets will spend £12,000 on a cat.

"People spend that much on jewellery or a big television.

"I have two at home. They have a great temperament, they love children and will be all over you."

Simon began his quest to make the perfect cat three years ago, after developing the hypo-allergenic cat and sold hundreds of them, priced at £4,906.
He said the reason the Ashera costs much more than other designer cats is the guarantee of "consistency".

Simon added: "We guarantee every kitten has the same colouring and appearance and we hand-deliver it to the clients home.

"A lot of hybrid kittens can refuse to go near their owners, or have health problems - but the Ashera is spayed, neutered, micro-chipped and ready to go."
ashera1SWNS_468x565.jpg

madara

Willing to bet they have quality of life of dalmatian too after these folks get bored of having a large exotic animal. Question is where do rich folks "dispose" of them when the thrill is gone or they are too much to handle, too big for new living quarters etc.

madara said:
Willing to bet they have quality of life of dalmatian too after these folks get bored of having a large exotic animal. Question is where do rich folks "dispose" of them when the thrill is gone or they are too much to handle, too big for new living quarters etc.

They pay someone to take care of the cat?

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
madara said:

To the fire department too?

MC Safety

madara said:

Then you can get the $22,000-plus cat for free at the pound.

I bet those things go absolutely bat-feces insane if they are cooped up in a house or apartment.

Also, there's a $28,000 version.

madara

MC Safety said:
I bet those things go absolutely bat-feces insane if they are cooped up in a house or apartment.

Good question. They are beautiful I just find the irony way too strong. There are quite a few lion and tiger shelters in USA alone from eccentrics that didn't realize the cost to feed the animal and what it really entails to have an animal that size and wild. I just cant help think this would more then likely go the same route even though they claim they dont show same wild traits. We wiped out alot natural exotic cats, like the Margay that use to live in USA but since there is money involved,what the hell lets make a new one and see how it turns out!

madara

GSG Flash said:
I would definitely get one if I was rich.

Personally I think I would do some type of land purchase. Like preserve natural land and cats we have remaining while there still some left before buying a new commerical breed. Would be a reason to take off and visit that part of world few times a year too!

MC Safety

It'll be interesting to see what becomes of these cats.

I mean, they're a specialized breed that's obviously a mixture of "exotic" (read: dangerous) and normal cats, and the seller is sterilizing all of them to prevent any uncontrolled breeding.

In other words, the breeder may have an extremely limited gene pool from which to work, and it wouldn't surprise me if these cats weren't very healthy, despite protestations to the contrary.

Also: $22,000!

Philia

This thread just pisses me off to no end. My husband who posts here regularly thought this thread was pretty kewl... and since we considering adopting a cat in near future, he thought I'd enjoy this thread. How do I even tell him.

I posted a long drawn out post a while back... about a lot of shit that were mostly demoralizing in general. But OP has shown such prime examples why this is just SO wrong on so many levels. Obviously not everyone will see past the cuteness and the convenience... but just know this. That SAME convenience? That can go a LONG LONG LONG way with a buck. :\ If people can configure cats to their fitting, why can't they just fucking configure everything else at their convenience?

nitewulf

its cool as hell, and cute and all that...but this thing could probably kill you. cheetahs are pretty small as well, but you wont stand a chance against one. i dont trust any of these bio-engineered stuff.

MC Safety

Philia said:
This thread just pisses me off to no end. My husband who posts here regularly thought this thread was pretty kewl... and since we considering adopting a cat in near future, he thought I'd enjoy this thread. How do I even tell him.

I posted a long drawn out post a while back... about a lot of shit that were mostly demoralizing in general. But OP has shown such prime examples why this is just SO wrong on so many levels. Obviously not everyone will see past the cuteness and the convenience... but just know this. That SAME convenience? That can go a LONG LONG LONG way with a buck. :\ If people can configure cats to their fitting, why can't they just fucking configure everything else at their convenience?

I have absolutely zero idea what you're talking about.

But, yeah!

Darko

RumpledForeskin said:
They microchip pets with information about them and the owners, in case they show up randomly in shelters.

edit: fuck you!

psh.... no terminator cat?! :( ... no sale

snacknuts

we all knew her
Philia said:

uh...

I WANT ONE!

Zeed

Banned
Philia said:

http://tinyurl.com/yvxo3e

Dali

Philia said:

I'm not sure about exactly what you're pissed at. Please re-type this entire post so that I may properly dispute it.

The cat is awesome

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Looks weird. The head seems small. Or maybe the neck is strangely long and/or thin. Or all of the above.

Dali

Philia said:

I'm not sure about exactly what you're pissed at. Please re-type this entire post so that I may properly dispute it.

The cat is awesome

duderon said:
This is a rip off of the Savannah breed, from what I've seen. Why pay $22,000 when you can pay $3000-$5000 for a registered breed?

http://ashera-savannah-cat.blogspot.com/

That sucks.

Belfast

MC Safety said:
Then you can get the $22,000-plus cat for free at the pound.

Also, there's a $28,000 version.

Which one's the tard pack?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
261nvi8.jpg

I swear that head looked photoshed in :lol
That's crazy though, $22,000 on an overgrown leopardskin cat...fuck that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom