Added coral cleaner to my tank

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally added 10ml of two little fish coral cleaner to my 32 gallon tank. I am terrified, I did a 20% percent water change put a new poly filter pad in and by chance I just changed the carbon in my reactor yesterday. Not sure what else to do at this point, everyone in the tank seems fine it has been two hours. Any suggestions on anything else I can do????

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read takes 1-2ml per gallon to kill fish and 5ml per gallon to kill corals so you are way under either of those doses. To be safe would probably do another 20% water change in next day or so and continue to run carbon. Have you seen any affect on any of your livestock?

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0DD36243-637C-495D-8E1A-0471CDEC0DE6.png

OP
OP
OrangeCountyReefer

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow thank you for sharing this information! When I first put it in my fish all ran and hid and my snails fell off the glass. Now 3 hours later I Just feed and everyone ate as normal, all inverts and fish came out to eat. Snails are back crawling around. I’ve changed the poly pad twice and carbon is still running. I will do another water change tomorrow and change the carbon in my reactor to be safe. As of now everything seems normal but I don’t feel like I’m out of the woods yet. I love my tank and animals dearly and this was devastating to have done to them. Thank you for your information I greatly appreciate it

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. Sounds like you will be ok. Hope it all works out for you. With all the current craziness none of us need any added stress to our lives.

OP
OP
OrangeCountyReefer

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. Sounds like you will be ok. Hope it all works out for you. With all the current craziness none of us need any added stress to our lives.
That’s just what I was thinking. I’ve been trapped in my house so just have been playing with my tank and then out of nowhere I nuke it. I couldn’t believe it, never felt so stupid. Coral dip will no longer be by my aminos and bacteria bottle. Photo below is from now, everyone seems happy

8AD71218-E91B-4A39-BDD6-A6D861D18F08.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Super lab grade carbon ASAP

OP
OP
OrangeCountyReefer

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the tank this morning? Really nice tank btw!
Hey thanks for checking in and zero casualties at this point. Every animal in the tank is alive and accounted for as of right now. So I’m hoping that means I’m out of the woods but I’ll continue to check and monitor them. Gonna change the carbon and do a water change to be safe still

OP
OP
OrangeCountyReefer

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update its been a week and I lost no livestock to my accidental adding of coral cleaner to my tank. I believe the use of carbon in the media reactor and the use poly pads really limited the damage that could have been done by this mistake.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear! I made the same mistake once....reached for the amino acid, and grabbed coralRx by accident. I only got a couple of drops into my 75 gal tank before I caught myself, but I still panicked. Did all of the things you did, and it all turned out fine :)

The coral and fish foods have a separate shelf now!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back