Dosing Tropic Marin Balling Part C

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So my SG has risen to 1.027 from the dosing regime. Need to bring this down thru diluation. How much do i dose Tropic Marin Balling Part C ? There is no guidance on the box.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing a two part will always raise salinity. It's not a sign of overdose.

What calcium and alk parts are you using?

Is the Balling Part C solid or Liquid?

OP
OP
Tuan’s Reef

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I am using BRS 2 Part Soda Ash for ALK, and Calcium Chloride for Ca. also Kalk. Balling Part C is liquid mixed from the instructions.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BRS Pharma Balling Method Part C (Tropic Marin) Mixing Instructions -Using a clean 1-gallon jug or container, fill it 1/2 full of RO/DI water. Add 4 scoops of Balling Part C to 1 gallon jug. Screw on the cap to the jug and shake it for about 10 seconds to start the dissolving process. Remove the cap and fill the container the rest of the way with RO/DI water. Replace the cap and give the container a few more shakes and let it sit until the salts are fully dissolved which should only take a couple hours. Dosing is based off your aquariums alkalinity dosage, and will twice that amount when using BRS Soda Ash.

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

BRS Pharma Balling Method Part C (Tropic Marin) Mixing Instructions -Using a clean 1-gallon jug or container, fill it 1/2 full of RO/DI water. Add 4 scoops of Balling Part C to 1 gallon jug. Screw on the cap to the jug and shake it for about 10 seconds to start the dissolving process. Remove the cap and fill the container the rest of the way with RO/DI water. Replace the cap and give the container a few more shakes and let it sit until the salts are fully dissolved which should only take a couple hours. Dosing is based off your aquariums alkalinity dosage, and will twice that amount when using BRS Soda Ash.
Just to add to Randy’s comments — the balling part C will also raise salinity (it is salt without a few things such as NaCl). The drift up is normal, so you will periodically want to either pull some water out of your aquarium and top it off with fresh or water changes to get the salinity down and compensate for this. Hope this helps.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley if I’m using your 2 part recipe #2 would it be 2 scoops of part c to one gallon? Thanks

My recipe is identical to the BRS soda ash recipe (they took it from my article), so the BRS directions for using Balling Part C are identical (don’t use my part 3).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I am using 1 1/4 cup calcium chloride for calc and then 1 1/8 cup of baking soda for alk, I thought this was half strength of BRS.

Sorry, many fewer people use that recipe and I mistakenly assumed you were using the other one. That unbaked baking soda recipe is half the strength of my other recipe so use half as much Balling Part C.

stlamarc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi,
Sorry for the obvious question here, but just to make sure I understand. You have to dose part C to the amount of (2x Alk (Soda Ash)) solution. But how frequently do you do the dosing of that solution?

Thanks in advance
Stephan

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Sorry for the obvious question here, but just to make sure I understand. You have to dose part C to the amount of (2x Alk (Soda Ash)) solution. But how frequently do you do the dosing of that solution?

Thanks in advance
Stephan

The timing is not very important, just the total amount. It could be added every day or even multiple times a day by dosing pump, but it can also be once a week or even less without any significant issues, IMO.

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm up to 320ml/day of BRS Soda Ash for Alk, and am currently playing w their hybrid balling method. Adding 640ml/day of their "Part C" per the instructions, is moving my salinity up faster than when I was simply dosing another brand's 2 part. I was up about .7ppt in about 9 days and had to dilute back down.

I understand the ratios per the instructions... But do you really need to actually dose that much of the Part C for the balling method to work? Or is there a point of diminishing return when you pass a certain point of dosing the Soda Ash for Alk?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm up to 320ml/day of BRS Soda Ash for Alk, and am currently playing w their hybrid balling method. Adding 640ml/day of their "Part C" per the instructions, is moving my salinity up faster than when I was simply dosing another brand's 2 part. I was up about .7ppt in about 9 days and had to dilute back down.

I understand the ratios per the instructions... But do you really need to actually dose that much of the Part C for the balling method to work? Or is there a point of diminishing return when you pass a certain point of dosing the Soda Ash for Alk?

Yes, dose all that is recommended. It will boost salinity faster than a two part that does not contain the equivalent ions that are in balling part C.

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, dose all that is recommended. It will boost salinity faster than a two part that does not contain the equivalent ions that are in balling part C.
I am going to run through that part C fast! I may need to find a larger container dosing at these levels.

Bob Kukura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to run through that part C fast! I may need to find a larger container dosing at these levels.
I just mix the part C at double the concentration (8 scoops/gallon) and then dose equal volumes of all three parts (BRS soda ash and calcium chloride). I have not had any issues with mixing or precipitation. I currently dose 80 ml/day of each to my 65 gallon tank and remove about 0.5 to 1.0 gallons of saltwater per week to maintain salinity at 35 ppt.

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just mix the part C at double the concentration (8 scoops/gallon) and then dose equal volumes of all three parts (BRS soda ash and calcium chloride). I have not had any issues with mixing or precipitation. I currently dose 80 ml/day of each to my 65 gallon tank and remove about 0.5 to 1.0 gallons of saltwater per week to maintain salinity at 35 ppt.
That's an interesting idea. Have you ever tested the salinity of a batch like that? I think there's a point where salt mix will become saturated and fall out of solution, right?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back