How much Red Sea Magnesium Foundation C ?

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
92590FBB-DE5B-41FE-97A5-FD994F232798.jpeg FA661BFA-7D5B-48E0-BDA8-09A1F33C0EAB.jpeg Hi, I want to raise my Magnesium from 1170ppm to 1300ppm using the above product. This product comes in a powder format and the whole container holds 1kg. I have approximately 150 gal tank.

I am planning on using a doser and gradually dosing with this chemical. I am filling a 1 gal bottle with RO water and 140g of powder (repeatedly) which appears for each gallon of solution, to be a fully saturated solution without causing precipitation back to solid.

Can anybody help determine how many gallons full of this magnesium additive solution will it take to raise my magnesium 130ppm higher. Based on this result of how many gallons of solution, I can try to calculate how much to dose each day and how many days it will take to get to 130ppm higher.

I am no chemist, so anybody know at least in theory, how many gallons I should need.

Here are pictures of the labels which I found very confusing.

Thanks

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, I take formulas with a grain of salt. If it were me I would dose the fully saturated solution at say 50 ml and test the tank water about an hour later. See how much it increased and do the math from there. Depending on what you plan on keeping I would raise it to closer to 1400...

OP
OP
Rst

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, I take formulas with a grain of salt. If it were me I would dose the fully saturated solution at say 50 ml and test the tank water about an hour later. See how much it increased and do the math from there. Depending on what you plan on keeping I would raise it to closer to 1400...

Thanks for your suggestion. I have been doing testing daily, but so far no significant increase. I started at dosing 250ml of this solution a day and now have increased the dosing of 1L per day. It seems I need to dose a huge quantity of this solution to make any difference.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your suggestion. I have been doing testing daily, but so far no significant increase. I started at dosing 250ml of this solution a day and now have increased the dosing of 1L per day. It seems I need to dose a huge quantity of this solution to make any difference.

Wow, that’s quite a bit..
Are you using good test kits???

OP
OP
Rst

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I believe my Aquaforest Mg test kit is correct. So far no increase in level. This is why I asked my question about quantity of chemical thinking others may have some experience with this. I have just this morning set this new level of dosing(1L of solution/day), so maybe now the needle will move. I will retest tomorrow.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Saturated magnesium solution? Not a suitable plan.

It is trivial to use a calculator.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also just follow their directions:

Concentration:
Liquid supplement: 1ml will raise the Mg level of 100 liters (25 gal) by 1ppm.
Powder supplement: 1g will raise the Mg level of 100 liters (25 gal) 1.34ppm.
1 kg will make 1.7L of stock solution.

OP
OP
Rst

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the calculator at the top of this forum, and enter magnesium chloride hexahydrate to see how much is needed. You may need a bit more than it says.

Thanks Randy, according to this Reef Chemistry Calculator, using 150gal of tank volume, and this chemical, I will need 615.3 grams of it to raise my magnesium from 1170 to 1300 ppm. That is a lot more than I thought.

Today I finally got a Mag reading on my AquaForest Mg kit of approx 1250ppm.

(I am now thinks of continuing to 1350 ppm)

OP
OP
Rst

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also just follow their directions:

Concentration:
Liquid supplement: 1ml will raise the Mg level of 100 litres (25 gal) by 1ppm.
Powder supplement: 1g will raise the Mg level of 100 liters (25 gal) 1.34ppm.
1 kg will make 1.7L of stock solution.

Randy,
“1 kg will make 1.7L of stock solution”. Does this mean you only need 1.7 litres of water to totally dissolve 1 kg of this powder?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for pointing this calculator out. It is interesting that this calculator also includes a daily maintenance dosing value.

Ya i usually just set that to zero. Honestly, ill be moving to ESV dosing products soon, i dont like how red sea stuff is not concentrated like a true two part dosing system. I will keep them around for small adjustments till i get all my levels where i want then i will be switching away from these...

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 72 78.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.4%
Back