Improved 2 part @Randy Holmes-Farley recipe #1 can I add Tropic Marin ‘part c’ trace elements?

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much would like to know the compatibility if possible of above topic.

I’ve been running recipe 1 since August 2018 and tank has been stable. If I swap out the magnesium for ‘part c’ Tropic marine and dose equal measures in relation to my Alk & Cal what outcome will this produce. I’m not exactly sure how to explain this question on scientific terms, however although I kind of understand my question I cannot do the math behind the science to predict the outcome.

Please feel free to check my thread for specifics #80

Many ways to skin a reef, this is mine. (54 Litre/14 Gallon)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ne.-(54-Litre-14-Gallon).376872/&share_type=t

87a1ad7238b8680445b3db692b6bcc66.jpg

A.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put that mix into either part of a two part.

If you really wanted to experiment, the calcium part is the way to do it, but there's a good reason that two parts are not designed that way. I suspect calcium sulfate may precipitate, and perhaps more.

To make a true two part (like B-ionic), the stuff that is in the Balling third part (essentially everything in a salt mix except calcium and alkalinity) is split between the calcium and alk parts parts, not just put into one of them. Some things (sulfate, magnesium, etc.) are only stable in one of the two halves. But Balling mixes them together in their third part.

OP
OP
hotashes

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case I miss understood, I got the idea here from @randyBRS & @Ryanbrs

I was not sure as it appears on the BrsTV vlog the guys mention it can be added to 2 part. I just wasn’t sure as I guess everyone mixes their solutions to different strengths. Which considering I used your recipe @Randy Holmes-Farley I guess it’s best getting the specifics from yourself who I based my dosing methods around ;)

A.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I don't have time to watch, if they claim Balling sodium chloride free salt mix can be put into a two part, I would not assume they are correct. I cannot see the sulfate being stable in the calcium part or the magnesium being stable in the alk part.

OP
OP
hotashes

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I don't have time to watch, if they claim Balling sodium chloride free salt mix can be put into a two part, I would not assume they are correct. I cannot see the sulfate being stable in the calcium part or the magnesium being stable in the alk part.

@Randy Holmes-Farley I’m not on any way doubting, however unless I ask it will leave me and maybe others a little unclear. However, does your 2 part (recipe 1) offer more stability than original balling method as I kind of know it? For example both use same chemicals for Alk & Cal, however Mag is mixed different?

This vlog was what left me questioning what the lads at BRS suggested could work

Thanks again,

A.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A two part like B-ionic from ESV puts the same ingredients as in Balling into one of the two parts. Balling puts them in a single third part.

My diy is intended to be a lower cost diy that cuts some corners on many of the minor and trace elements. It puts only magnesium and sulfate (and chloride) in the third part, like a very simplified Balling.

OP
OP
hotashes

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the bottom line, if I add ‘part c’ to your recipe 1 then my tanks chemical balance will possibly be catastrophic?

dang I’d already purchased the ‘part c’ in readiness of simply adding it in an equal part.......

A.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 102 77.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back