Innovative Marine Gourmet Grazer *WARNING*

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C5A97779-6182-4958-A7EF-1E9F349601D6.jpeg
First I’ll start by saying that I love these things-I have 3 of them. I noticed in one of my tanks, the corals looked unhappy. I tested all of my levels and nothing was out of range so I checked all of my hardware and sump for anything out of the ordinary-once again, nothing. I then went to put a new piece of nori in my Gourmet Grazer (I usually leave it in the tank) when I noticed that the epoxy that encases the magnet on the clip itself was slightly bulging. Using a small screwdriver I popped out the magnet and sure enough, the inside was rusted out. I contacted customer service and they let me know that they only warranty “non electrical items” for 6 months and I bought this in November of ‘17, so they would not be replacing it. They also stated that they have changed the epoxy that they use, all but admitting that this is a known issue. Anyways, check your Gourmet Grazers everyone! Really glad this wasn’t in my sps system.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every piece of IM equipment with magnets have done this. That I've used.

** I do have lots of IM products I love and ordering another IM tank as well, but yes their magnets are not coated well.

OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freaks out about rust but is waiting for a shipment of GFO.;)

I see people make that statement a lot and it would be true if all magnets/metal aquarium objects were made of pure iron (which they aren’t). Most are alloys containing heavy metals which can be very toxic to your tank. There are many cases of tanks wiped out from rusted metals getting into the water.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, really. I have had a piece of steel cause issues in mine and someone I did maintenance for.

Magnets seem to cause even worse issues.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. This is a serious design flaw. I have lost a couple of colonies and frags.
My icp test showed some heavy metals. I couldn't find anything, ran detox from triton
Tonight I cut mine open and found:

20190218_220731.jpg 20190218_220738.jpg

This is just over a year old.

ENVY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes. I was actually going to purchase one this week since I'm sick of seaweed flying off the clip. Does anyone know something similar from a different brand that doesn't have this issue?

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suction cups are the way to go. Sometimes they get loose but the won't degrade.

pscheel2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, for the price they charge for those things, they should just send you a replacement.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, for the price they charge for those things, they should just send you a replacement.

I thought so too. I’m going to try the two little fishes version.

oranngetang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 100% TLF pouch feeders now. Had the same problem with the IM feeder and had to toss it after a couple of months of use.

The TLF design isn't as easy to put the food into, but there is no waste left in the pouches after a feeding unlike the IM.

The Innovative Marine Grazer is junk.

Last edited:

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Freaks out about rust but is waiting for a shipment of GFO.;)

Or probably just ticked that they spent money on junk that these clowns sell. Add this along with any other IM product to the long list of Eshopps products that I will never buy because they are cheap garbage. Knowing that this is the quality of equipment that they sell, and moreover, the way their customers are treated (like chumps) you couldn't pay me to use these brands.

Thanks for heads up OP. Sorry for your troubles.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 43 43.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back