Stichodactyla Gigantea

Kris4647

Rare Clownfish anemone aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought I’d share a few pictures. Returned to the hobby a few months ago after many years away, so happy to have found this guy. So healthy. Never deflated, color has filled in quite a bit.

A picture and short video from 12/15 and then today. (Sorry it’s so hard to get “normal looking” pictures with these leds. I used around 11k temp lighting and the aquarium cam app).

9A692297-C2EF-45B1-842C-9E8A9754198D.jpeg 67351597-9A96-4797-802E-1F3F33380C65.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kris4647

Kris4647

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. Nice coloring up too. Any clowns in that baby? A unique pair would be amazing to watch.

Not yet. I lost an entire collection of rare clowns when we evacuated for a hurricane years ago. I’m looking for Leucokranos again they’ve always been my favorite.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, they like more flow that what you are providing for him. Here is a short Video of one of my Gigantea. Perhaps they don't need this much flow to live, but they are much happier with this type of flow. My Gigantea just absolutely love it there with this much light and flow.
Best flow for Gigantea

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Stability.... change nothing. It looks great

ztorrico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, they like more flow that what you are providing for him. Here is a short Video of one of my Gigantea. Perhaps they don't need this much flow to live, but they are much happier with this type of flow. My Gigantea just absolutely love it there with this much light and flow.
Best flow for Gigantea

That should be called The Grinches Gigantea!!! Looks great!!!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be called The Grinches Gigantea!!! Looks great!!!
I really did not mean to be a Grinch and sorry it may come across like that. I think Kris anemone is very beautiful and healthy. However I do have a lot of experience driven Ed with Gigantea, my favorite anemone. I was just suggest that he may want t increase his flow. Beeping the anemone healthy.

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really did not mean to be a Grinch and sorry it may come across like that. I think Kris anemone is very beautiful and healthy. However I do have a lot of experience driven Ed with Gigantea, my favorite anemone. I was just suggest that he may want t increase his flow. Beeping the anemone healthy.
I think he said that because your anemone is green like the Grinch, not because of your comment (good advice btw) :)

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great find. They are pretty tough to kill once last the initial acclimation/infection period. I found a nice Blue and a nice green but was never able to find a purple.

Definitely agree with giving it a bit more flow though.

ztorrico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Haha!!! Sorry about that!! I def meant it looks like it could be related to The Grinch based on its appearance!! My bad!!

OP
OP
Kris4647

Kris4647

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best flow for Gigantea

Always open to advice especially Grinchy advice from Minh (lol, j/k :)) .

I paused my (gyres, mp10s) circulation pumps before I take pictures. It’s still not as much as you are using but I do like to keep the tentacles moving.
Honestly right now I’d like it to stop getting bigger. Since i got it I’ve been feeding gulf shrimp and it’s close to 10”-12” across at this point. I re-scaped my tank and it got up on a rock which is not ideal.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gigantea do great on rock. They are not really sand bed anemone. At most they attach to side of the rock near the sand. Of the 5 I have 4 are on the rock structure and 1 at the sand-rock interface.
Don't feed him anymore and he won't get bigger (quickly). Fish and snails are fair game as is anything floating around and touch his tentacles.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back