Tropic Marin All For Reef Self-Mix

DSFa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I live in Australia and aren't able to find the powder form of carbo-calcium from tropic marines recipe for their all for reef, I can however get my hands on the carbo-calcium in liquid form.
Please see product instructions tab:
https://www.tropic-marin.com/minerals/carbocalcium/?lang=en#

So according to the instructions, would it be accurate to say a bottle of the 1L is roughly equivalent to the 140g (6 spoons) of the recipe and the exact same but in liquid form rather than powder?

I don't have dosing containers that are over 1L in holding capacity so I'm going to adjust the recipe slightly but keep the ratios constant. So would this be accurate / doable:

500mls of Carbo-calcium liquid - 6g Bio-Magnesium powder, 50ml Pro-Trace A-, 50ml Pro-Trace K+

With these ingredients would I be making the All For Reef formula. Such a pain to get access to the ingredients as even the 1L bottles of Trace elements are unheard of.

Thank you in advance! :)

All For Reef.JPG

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know anything about this BRS recipe or how it was arrived at.

The Tropic Marin liquid says it contains 40 g/l calcium. The BRS recipe is much more concentrated. 140 g calcium formate has a lot more calcium than 40 g.

OP
OP
DSFa

DSFa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know anything about this BRS recipe or how it was arrived at.

The Tropic Marin liquid says it contains 40 g/l calcium. The BRS recipe is much more concentrated. 140 g calcium formate has a lot more calcium than 40 g.
The recipe was arrived and approved by Randy from BRS I think who got it from Tropic Marin themselves,
My understanding of the ingredients are 6 spoons mixed in 1L of RODI will give 43,000mg of calcium. 1L of carbocalcium premix comes in at 40,000mg of calcium. So it ends up being quite close enough to use as a replacement?

" 6 level measuring spoons (approx. 140 g/5 oz.) of Carbocalcium Powder are dissolved in 1 l/0.26 US-gal. reverse osmosis water to create the liquid mineral solution. This solution has a long shelf-life and contains 43,000 mg of calcium and 6,000 °dH. " - Tropic Marin POWDER

" 1000 ml Tropic Marin® Carbo-Calcium contain 40,000 mg calcium and 5,600 °carbonate hardness. " Tropic Marin Liquid Premix

From these 2 statements comparing the 2 products from official tropic marin websites, would it be accurate to say 6 scoops = 1L carbocal. premix liquid bottle. If so I can replace the powder with the liquid form I hope?

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find it now, but in one of the All For Reef threads here on R2R, the folks from TM provided a DIY recipe.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recipe was arrived and approved by Randy from BRS I think who got it from Tropic Marin themselves,
My understanding of the ingredients are 6 spoons mixed in 1L of RODI will give 43,000mg of calcium. 1L of carbocalcium premix comes in at 40,000mg of calcium. So it ends up being quite close enough to use as a replacement?

" 6 level measuring spoons (approx. 140 g/5 oz.) of Carbocalcium Powder are dissolved in 1 l/0.26 US-gal. reverse osmosis water to create the liquid mineral solution. This solution has a long shelf-life and contains 43,000 mg of calcium and 6,000 °dH. " - Tropic Marin POWDER

" 1000 ml Tropic Marin® Carbo-Calcium contain 40,000 mg calcium and 5,600 °carbonate hardness. " Tropic Marin Liquid Premix

From these 2 statements comparing the 2 products from official tropic marin websites, would it be accurate to say 6 scoops = 1L carbocal. premix liquid bottle. If so I can replace the powder with the liquid form I hope?

Without commenting on the recipe itself, the statements from Tropic Marin do support the idea that dissolving 6 scoops in 1 L gives roughly the same calcium and alk concentration as the Tropic Marin solution.

OP
OP
DSFa

DSFa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find it now, but in one of the All For Reef threads here on R2R, the folks from TM provided a DIY recipe.
Yeahh I've attached a screenshot of it in the post photos if you need it there it is! :)

OP
OP
DSFa

DSFa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without commenting on the recipe itself, the statements from Tropic Marin do support the idea that dissolving 6 scoops in 1 L gives roughly the same calcium and alk concentration as the Tropic Marin solution.
I was hoping that'd be the case or similar, Too lovely!

Thanks for the confirmation wasn't sure if my understanding was correct haha :D

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 140 g calcium formate has 43g calcium in it, calculating from chemical formula, which is pretty close o 40 grams.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 140 g calcium formate has 43g calcium in it, calculating from chemical formula, which is pretty close o 40 grams.

Yes, I agree. Close enough. hence the post above "the statements from Tropic Marin do support the idea that dissolving 6 scoops in 1 L gives roughly the same calcium and alk concentration as the Tropic Marin solution. "

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 144 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back