Tropic marin reef pro or bio actif

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bio Actif salt is specifically designed for ULNS (ultra low nutrient systems). You most likely want to go with the Pro Reef...
This is not quite correct. The Bio-Actif is Reef-Pro with their Reef Actif poweder already mixed in. Reef Actif is essentially a very mild carbon dosing product made from seaweed ... and can be used regardless of how much or little PO4 you have in your system.

It's sole purpose is to enable coral to more readily use/consume trace amounts of phosphate. It is not designed to significantly lower PO4 or NO3 the way alcohol/acidic/sugar based carbon dosing products are.

You can even use the Bio Actif salt to start up a brand new system from day one without worrying about having an significant effect on nutrients.

Lou Ekus, TM's U.S. rep talks about it, and their other salts and reef chemistry products in this interview by ReefDudes:

He discusses their salts ~23:00, and Reef Actif and other carbon dosing products ~42:00.

I've been using Reef Actif in combination with Pro Reef salt for a about 6 weeks. (I already had a bucket of ProReef on hand and wanted to use it up before switching to Bio Actif salt.).

I have seen no noticeable change in either PO4 or NO3 using it versus when I was only using Pro Reef.

I have seen a slight increase in coral growth rate in one tank since I began adding Reef Actif, but I also made some lighting changes so cannot with certain attribute it to one, the other, or both.

I've also seen a slight increase on coral color vibrancy in my other tank since I began using Reef Actif, with that being the only change made to that tank.

Last edited:

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My post was exactly correct. I did not say it can’t be used in a non ULNS setting. I said Tropic Marin designed the salt to be used in them, which is accurate information....

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back