Tunze Rock frag rock, lets see yours.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Tunze frag rack magnetic rock. I got the larger one to help hide my overflow on my tank. Just wondering if anyone else has bought and filled these with growing corals.

looks pretty bare right now.
2237A486-71CA-4BDB-9931-6248CC8C4127.jpeg

86231C9A-823E-4304-B1E2-2E17538F1D21.jpeg

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have one but now I want one...
giphy.gif
Here are three different versions. Some folks might go into sticker shock. Once I get some frags in it and it gets coraline on it it will look much better.

The biggest negative is they can’t fit on thicker glass. So for folks with big tanks they are only suitable for areas like the overflow box.

single magnet smaller version

double magnet larger version

corner rack

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!! The shape of the frag rock almost fits perfectly with your aquascape!! Are the “outside” magnets in water inside your overflow box?

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!! The shape of the frag rock almost fits perfectly with your aquascape!! Are the “outside” magnets in water inside your overflow box?
Yes, and oh crap... I need to make sure they are water tight... time to go fishing.

I was so excited at the idea that I didn’t even think about the “outside magnets” being reef safe.

Ok, all is good. The magnets on the inside of the overflow are safe to be wet. They are the same as used on the Tunze ATO which are in the water too.

Last edited:

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and oh crap... I need to make sure they are water tight... time to go fishing.
I believe tunze magnets are all water safe. I didn’t know if you mounted it another way and was curious. I really dislike my overflow box and am looking for ways to try and hide it. Thought about one of these smaller rock racks. Will you use it as a frag rack and move stuff on and off or did you plan on letting something grow over it?

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe tunze magnets are all water safe. I didn’t know if you mounted it another way and was curious. I really dislike my overflow box and am looking for ways to try and hide it. Thought about one of these smaller rock racks. Will you use it as a frag rack and move stuff on and off or did you plan on letting something grow over it?
Initially it will be a frag rack to hold stuff moving in. As time goes on I’ll likely glue some corals to the outer edges. But I’ll leave the frag holes empty for my own cuttings. That’s likely a long way away.. so time will tell.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always thought this was pretty cool, but I was a bit hesitant to go for it due to the price/size ratio.

I got two of the reef rax shelves (corner and shelf) , and I've been fairly satisfied with them.

However, note that they are hollow. My shelf rock (though not my corner) had a few impercetibly small holes in them, and therefore accumulated water and inevitably created a anoxic dead zone.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are three different versions. Some folks might go into sticker shock. Once I get some frags in it and it gets coraline on it it will look much better.

The biggest negative is they can’t fit on thicker glass. So for folks with big tanks they are only suitable for areas like the overflow box.

single magnet smaller version

double magnet larger version

corner rack
Thank you for the links! Went and ordered two nanos... debating the third larger version for the overflow. Looking for more inspiration in this thread ;)

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Tunze frag rack magnetic rock. I got the larger one to help hide my overflow on my tank. Just wondering if anyone else has bought and filled these with growing corals.

looks pretty bare right now.
2237A486-71CA-4BDB-9931-6248CC8C4127.jpeg

86231C9A-823E-4304-B1E2-2E17538F1D21.jpeg
I like that corner piece! Tanks coming along nicely

Sheripie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
top left is red robin and bottom right is some type of table acropora i think lol
my red robin is pinkish color not red because i give it extra light .. in the picture you cant see it clearly because i took that pic when the lights about to go off.. only blue light left lol

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own with an octopod magnet and some JB water weld. I like natural rock better.

D1873D4A-8CC3-4532-88DB-50828C38607F.jpeg 6C2B9C9E-66E2-41F2-9294-C44E13A51534.jpeg

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized I never got around to responding to this thread. I have mixed feelings about these. I've had 4 of them (two still in the tank) and I think they have a lot of potential used properly, otherwise they're kind of a waste. Out of the gate they look natural and nice, but you've got to plan properly if you want to keep them long-term.

First off the magnets are amazing, but the quality of the frag slots is spotty at best. Of the four pieces I got, I think most of them had at least one hole that was unusable or at too severe of an angle to be used without gluing the frag in. At which point if anything goes wrong, you've lost a spot. Which brings up another issue, they drill for both sections of the plug (top and bottom), so that it sits flush. Which is great in theory, but it makes attempted removal of the plug VERY difficult if it starts to grow out at all.

Also, be very careful to think about selection of corals, because the way these things are designed, stuff on the top tier is pretty quickly going to shade stuff on the bottom. Even just with zoas, the bottom portion will become useless unless the bottom frags branch out.

So if you're going to get these, I would suggest encrusting stuff or small polyp zoas for the top section and acros for the bottom. I would like these more if it were just one long single row, as opposed to two. And the quality control were better.

Here is a recent full tank shot of the remaining ones in my tank on the top right and left.

IMG_2398.jpg

Here is the left one now with most stuff closed up. The goni is ok with low light on the bottom and the alveopora doesn't mind partial shade behind my return either. The encrusting monti on the left I stopped loving, so I glued some GSP over it since I'll never be able to get the original monti plug off.

IMG_2482.JPG

Here on the right I threw in the towel on the bottom row because my leather reaches up to touch it (as seen in the FTS) and the zoas/palys started on the bottom and worked their way up, shading the bottom until they died anyway.
IMG_2483.JPG

At the moment I've started getting more reef rax, although his stuff leaves a little to be desired also.

I would get these if you know you can plan them out very well, and know what you want in the position longer term, and get yourself a proper 3/4" drill bit to fix the holes that are going to come in lost. If you're not going to do all of those things, and enjoy changing your tank up every couple of months, these things are potentially going to be a waste (I got 4, 2 are still in the tank, one is dry in a cabinet, and one I just took bolt cutters to so that I could salvage a goni that started encrusting and an encrusting cyphastrea that was getting stung by it).

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own two of these. I bought them so I could propagate GSP on the back walls of my tank. Its been about 4 months but they have just now covered the Tunze rocks. Time will tell is they will spread to the back walls.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping an old one

@TonyReefNYC I see you’ve got the Reef rax single plug angled mounts. How are you liking those? I’ve been tempted to pick up two for torches to keep them away from stuff on my rock work.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 30.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back