Water inside UV sterilizer glass tube, is this normal or a problem?

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got myself a cheap UV sterilizer for aquarium. The one where you don't get the enclosed case but just have the exposed bulb. I tested it underwater today and found the glass tube still has water trapped inside after I pulled out of the water and dried the unit. It wasn't a lot but this means the water was slowly getting inside the glass tube when it was submerged. The unit does seem to have another glass tube inside the glass tube but still, I was unsure if this is safe or not. Is my unit faulty or is it just how they are?
I have contacted the seller and I'm waiting for them to respond but I wanted to check just in case the seller decides to BS and say it's fine when it isn't.
All of the water shown in the pictures below are inside the tube and the outside is dry.
IMG_20230505_013337.jpg

IMG_20230505_013406.jpg

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are JUNK. Trash that asap. What your seeing is NOT normal.
^^ This
Looks like a catastrophe waiting to happen IMO

Thanks, so it is a faulty unit then?
The UV is not for my tank btw. For phyto culture water sterilization, I needed a submersible UV sterilizer lamp that is not enclosed in a black casing. I've read these lamps are not the best for aquarium use but seemed like a reasonable choice for what I was going to use it for. Well, but if it is leaking when it's not supposed to, then it's a different story of course.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, so it is a faulty unit then?
The UV is not for my tank btw. For phyto culture water sterilization, I needed a submersible UV sterilizer lamp that is not enclosed in a black casing. I've read these lamps are not the best for aquarium use but seemed like a reasonable choice for what I was going to use it for. Well, but if it is leaking when it's not supposed to, then it's a different story of course.
Sorry I can't really comment on one used for that purpose as I've only used the ones in a sleeve. I alway thought that direct contact with water can cause the bulb to burst but maybe I'm wrong? Water inside the bulb where the current flows would be a serious concern for me. But again I have no experience with a bulb being placed directly in water so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No bueno. There is typically a gasket at the end where the connector connects to the bulb which is supposed to seal the tube. Yours is either installed incorrectly, missing or worn out.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 64 46.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back