What salinity tester don I trust?? Both calibrated, both with diferent numbers…

daniel_mourra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I just calibrated my refractometer with brightwell refractometer calibration standard as per the instructions to 1.026 SG (35%) and my Hanna Salinity chequer using the Hanna Salinity Calibration satchet g1.026 (35%)..

When i test my aquarium water…. my refractometer displays 1.028…. Hanna says 1.025
Which do i believe??? Both are calibrated 4 minutes ago….

image.jpg

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look inside your refractometer, where you take the reading, and see whether the temperature compensation is for 20C or 25C.
If doesn’t say that, take a look at the manual.

If you can’t find any information about temperature compensation, I probably wouldn’t keep using that refractometer.
Some of the cheaper refractometers sold for aquarium keeping compensate for the wrong temperature.

Take a look at the reviews for the Hanna salinity checker and judge for yourself whether you wanna trust that. It’s not super reliable.

The cheapest precise easiest to use tools to check salinity are the Tropic Marin precision hydrometer or the Dupla Hydrometer.
They are very fragile, but they are good to check if the calibration of your Milwaukee MA887 digital refractometer or your VeeGee STX3 refractometer is still on point.

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently had a post along similar lines to this. I ended up purchasing the tropic Marin hydrometer and found that the Hanna checker was .001 out (reading too low). I know use the hanna checker and keep that in mind.
It’s always best to have multiple methods to test, it shows if one is wildly out.
On another note I have had issues with the brightwell calibration fluid in the past. I made a batch of the diy salinity test fluid, you can find it on here somewhere, and when comparing the brighwell ended up reading 1.033. Since then I’ve never trusted the stuff and only use the diy calibration fluid.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t trust either. I would have not bought either and got a Milwaukee or a floating hydrometer.
Many, many posts about the milwaukee being off by .003 ppt on every model.

I would not trust the calibration fluid, and DIY my own, then check salinity with the 2.

I have 2 hanna's and using Randy's DIY calibration fluid on it, and my refractometer, they match each other.

Salinity really isn't that critical to be honest. As long as it's somewhere between 1.024, and 1.028 your typically fine.

OP
OP
daniel_mourra

daniel_mourra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look inside your refractometer, where you take the reading, and see whether the temperature compensation is for 20C or 25C.
If doesn’t say that, take a look at the manual.

If you can’t find any information about temperature compensation, I probably wouldn’t keep using that refractometer.
Some of the cheaper refractometers sold for aquarium keeping compensate for the wrong temperature.

Take a look at the reviews for the Hanna salinity checker and judge for yourself whether you wanna trust that. It’s not super reliable.

The cheapest precise easiest to use tools to check salinity are the Tropic Marin precision hydrometer or the Dupla Hydrometer.
They are very fragile, but they are good to check if the calibration of your Milwaukee MA887 digital refractometer or your VeeGee STX3 refractometer is still on point.
Thank you! My refractometer says 20C inside.. would this be correct?

archercorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a friend that has a nice reef and you can ask them to test your salinity for you. But floating hydrometer is the most accurate. Tropica marine makes one, but its a little of a pain to use.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't trust a refractometer or calibration fluid. Get the TM hydrometer. I thought my salinity was good until I did an ICP. It was running low even though my refractometer+fluid said 1.026. I got the hydrometer and it matched the ICP.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got into this same debate with my swing arm hydrometer, refractometer and Hanna checker. They were close but not the same. Me personally I just use the Hanna and calibrate it with Randy's info for calibration solution.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its good to have a floating hydrometer like the one made by Tropic Marin. You can use that to judge whatever your using for a quicker salinity checks. My hanna checker reads a bit high even when calibrated compared to the old school hydrometer so I just take that into consideration when I use the hanna checker.

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you shouldnt care too much, as long as salinity is stable. difference between 1.025 and 1.026 wont change anything for any of your inhabitant.
He’s complaining that he can’t get a consistent measurement across devices. The only way to get a consistent measurement in having all devices calibrated and compensating for temperature correctly.

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s complaining that he can’t get a consistent measurement across devices. The only way to get a consistent measurement in having all devices calibrated and compensating for temperature correctly.
and what I mean is to use the same device and stick with it, and even if it shows 1.029 and in reality it is 1.025, it wont make a difference to the inhabitant; a swing in salinity would make a difference, and any one of its devices should be able to detect it. Never forget that, even if you feel like a professional scientist in your fish room with your devices; they are only hobby grade, not lab grade.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello

I just calibrated my refractometer with brightwell refractometer calibration standard as per the instructions to 1.026 SG (35%) and my Hanna Salinity chequer using the Hanna Salinity Calibration satchet g1.026 (35%)..

When i test my aquarium water…. my refractometer displays 1.028…. Hanna says 1.025
Which do i believe??? Both are calibrated 4 minutes ago….

image.jpg
I have both and just calibrated my Hanna which was - WAS . . my trusted checker but I am suspecting it is off

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and what I mean is to use the same device and stick with it, and even if it shows 1.029 and in reality it is 1.025, it wont make a difference to the inhabitant; a swing in salinity would make a difference, and any one of its devices should be able to detect it. Never forget that, even if you feel like a professional scientist in your fish room with your devices; they are only hobby grade, not lab grade.
I don’t think it’s about feeling like a scientist, besides hobby grade doesn’t mean inherently inaccurate or imprecise.
The tropic marine hydrometer is very accurate, and it’s “hobby grade”.
at least one public aquarium is run using salifert test kits; given the investment, they’d get better test kits for on the spot measurements, if money could buy them.

If you never double check your results with a different method, you will never know if your device is actually calibrated or is even broken altogether.
refractive index is very dependent on temperature, I don’t have the data at hand but you may be underestimating how much the wrong temperature compensation can affect the reading.
Personally I’d rather be safe than sorry when investing so much money in livestock.

Last edited:

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m with you on this one. I’ve always trusted the Milwaukee so I think I’m going to stick with that.

Attachments

• IMG_4081.jpeg
    IMG_4081.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4084.jpeg
    IMG_4084.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4085.jpeg
    IMG_4085.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 32

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back