Who’s dosing EQUAL AMOUNTS of Core7?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Who’s dosing equal amounts of each solution?

I have not been dosing equal amounts of all four parts, because I’m sure my Calcium and Magnesium levels will begin to rise.

I know my Mag level definitely will. It only makes logical sense unless it’s a very weak solution. This is what I would like to find out. Even though my Calcium consumption is close to my Alkalinity consumption, it’s never the same and over time would likely run way outside my ideal range.

Does anybody know the meq/Liter of the Alkalinity components (3a & 3b)?

Also, does anybody know how many parts per million concentration of the magnesium component (1)?

Lastly...does anybody know the long term effects of dosing the solutions out of their proper ratios? I’m sure it will create an imbalance that I do not want.

Nobody I know is dosing equal amounts and the reefers that tried are trying to get their sky high levels back down.

Anybody with a story, answers, or comments?? Would love to hear some...

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fought it for 3 months running them trying to chase parameters. Did a lot of research and it says if you run equal it will balance out. After 3 months of struggling with it I said tick on it and set them all the same.

At one point my 1 and 2 were turned off, calcium was at 600, mag at 1900, alk at 7.6. Was dosing 18ml and still couldn’t get to 8.

After I turned them all on and equal, I am dos 11.5ml now, alk steady at 8, cal at 460, mag at 1400. Ended up balancing out for me.

Now I just check my alk. If it’s at 8, everything else is good. Still check all every month or so, no surprises yet.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fought it for 3 months running them trying to chase parameters. Did a lot of research and it says if you run equal it will balance out. After 3 months of struggling with it I said **** on it and set them all the same.

At one point my 1 and 2 were turned off, calcium was at 600, mag at 1900, alk at 7.6. Was dosing 18ml and still couldn’t get to 8.

After I turned them all on and equal, I am dos 11.5ml now, alk steady at 8, cal at 460, mag at 1400. Ended up balancing out for me.

Now I just check my alk. If it’s at 8, everything else is good. Still check all every month or so, no surprises yet.

I really appreciate the response. It’s just hard from me to understand how it can balance out. Not at all saying it didn’t, but just like BRS mag or ESV mag...there’s a concentration of xxxx ppm. If you dose too much, it just seems impossible that it could equal out, but rather swing really high like you mentioned. If your Mag was 1900...how would it come down?? 1900 back to 1400 or 1200 would take forever to come down since very little mag is consumed by a reef in 1 month. I could see Calcium equaling out though.

One thing I’m having an issue with right now is burnt tips. My NO3 is 10 and PO4 is about 0.10. Alk slowly got up to 8.9 while I transitioned over to Triton. I’ve been slowly decreasing the dose. I’ve also reduced my photo period and intensity by 20% and went down again by another 20% because they corals are still getting burnt. Even things on the sand-bed which is weird. My par is 250 at the top of my rocks and about 75-100 on the sand-bed. I know Triton now recommends a dKH of 7.0. I’m thinking the higher Alk has something to do with it. Has anybody had this issue at first??

I’m starting to think it’s not a Alk, lighting, or nutrient issue though. It’s almost like there’s a trace element being overdosed which is why I wanted to start this thread. Everything was fine until I switched back over to Triton on 5/8. In just 11 days...things have taken a wrong turn. Initially the change was very positive, but now it’s going downhill. I hope it’s not due to dosing unequal amounts.? 11 days seems too early for a significant imbalance to occur. I don’t know.

I did a 30% water change tonight. Hopefully that will help this issue. I don’t want to reduce my lighting anymore than I already have (40%).

I’m tempted to terminate Triton and run ESV again, but I’ve ran Triton before with great results. Hard to believe it’s my lighting because 250 par isn’t that much and my nutrients aren’t low, but I can’t say that Triton caused it either.

I’m kinda panicking because where the tips have burnt, some Acro’s are starting to slowly STN from the top down. Kinda baffled by this.

Last edited:

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can someone let me know which thread has the corrections listed if your numbers get out of balance?
I have high Ca (460)high Mg (1440)and lower Alk (7.5).

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So basically nobody is truly dosing even amounts. Pretty much what I expected. The only way you could dose an even amount of mag is if the potency of component #1 was about 70% less than all the other bottles.

Honestly, my tanks always seem to consume more Alkalinity than Calcium. So over time...this would create an undesirable Calcium number.

Something that would really help is if Triton would come in to clarify the potency of their products and how to appropriately deal with some of these issues. It would also be very beneficial to understand what may potentially happen if they “we’re not” dosed equally.

I’ve haven’t seen Triton comment much about this. Why have they been absent from all these threads. I search and can’t find anything with Triton representatives addresses these issues.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOUND WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!

Tim@TritonWell-Known MemberR2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor
Solutions to "balance issues"

Scenario 1
Alk Low
Ca Low
Mg Low
Solution - Raise all equally

Scenario 2
Alk High
Ca High
Mg High
Solution - Lower all equally

Scenario 3
Alk Ok
Ca Ok
Mg Ok
Solution - Maintain dose

Scenario 4
Alk Low
Ca Ok
Mg Ok
Solution - Maintain dose, dose additional TRITON CO3 liquid buffer/NaHCO DIY Salts to raise Alk then maintain

Scenario 5
Alk Ok
Ca Low
Mg Ok
Solution - Maintain dose, dose additional TRITON Calcium liquid buffer/CaCl2 DIY Salts to raise Ca then maintain

Scenario 6
Alk Ok
Ca Ok
Mg Low
Solution - Maintain dose, dose additional TRITON Magnesium liquid buffer/MgCl2 DIY Salts to raise Mg then maintain

Scenario 7
Alk Ok
Ca High
Mg Ok
Solution - Maintain dose on channels 1/3a/3b reduce dose of channel 2 until Calcium level drops to required amount.

Scenario 8
Alk Ok
Ca Ok
Mg High
Solution - Maintain dose, water change to reduce elevated Magnesium levels. (Only if Mg very high)

Scenario 9
Alk Ok
Ca High
Mg High
Solution - Check KH test for accuracy, reduce dose of all solutions, set KH to 7 and retest.

So if all elements are high—lower them all equally. If all elements are low——raise them all equally. If one element is low—-supplement that specific “Triton” element to bring back into balance (I’m assuming this single element would not have trace in the solution). If Calcium is high—-reduce the dose on #2. If Mag is high—-water changes until back in balance. If both Cal and Mag are high...reduce all doses and check your test kit for accuracy.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 146 75.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back